General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pressure sensor gauge AND Rear main seal

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 09:40 PM
Default Oil pressure sensor gauge AND Rear main seal

Had a major oil leak and changed out the oil pressure sensor gauge (is this the same as the oil pressure switch or the oil sending unit?) last night. It was midnight and dark upon completion so I waited till this morning to double check everything. There is no leak at the replaced part, YAY, however the oil gauge on the dash now reads zero.. nothing... no pressure at all. There is adequate amount of oil and a new filter. What could the problem be? Also in addition to that, how can I get clear instructions (maybe even some images) on how to change out the rear main seal, which is also leaking a little bit? I have a 1997 Honda Accord Ex 4 Cylinder Vtech. Thanks a bunch in advance. Ah ha ha... I just realized that the oil pressure gauge is actually the temperature gauge and is supposed to be at the bottom when cold. I was being overly paranoid I guess. still need help with the Rear main seal though.

Last edited by tattoodwaitress; 06-23-2012 at 09:56 PM. Reason: Incorrect statement of first issue
Old 06-23-2012, 10:08 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you changed out the oil pressure switch (above the oil filter). Check that the wire connector is plugged back on.

The rear main seal requires removal of the transmission. Is it a lot of oil leaking from the rear main seal? If it's not too much of a leak from the rear main seal, you might want to leave it and just top off the oil levels regularly.

Other common areas of oil leaks on the 5th generation Accords (1994 - 1997) were the distributor seals, valve covers, etc. The balancer shaft seal was another area; but, if that seal popped out, it would usually be a huge leak. -- These may not be related to the leak you're referring too; but, I'm just mentioning it.

You can download an online service manual from one of the links in the DIY sticky located above in this forum section. I believe the 1994 USDM service manual has most of the info. as the 5th generation Accords were all very similar. If you want, you can also download the different year supplements; but, they don't have too much additional practical info.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Sounds like you changed out the oil pressure switch (above the oil filter). Check that the wire connector is plugged back on.

The rear main seal requires removal of the transmission. Is it a lot of oil leaking from the rear main seal? If it's not too much of a leak from the rear main seal, you might want to leave it and just top off the oil levels regularly.

Other common areas of oil leaks on the 5th generation Accords (1994 - 1997) were the distributor seals, valve covers, etc. The balancer shaft seal was another area; but, if that seal popped out, it would usually be a huge leak. -- These may not be related to the leak you're referring too; but, I'm just mentioning it.

You can download an online service manual from one of the links in the DIY sticky located above in this forum section. I believe the 1994 USDM service manual has most of the info. as the 5th generation Accords were all very similar. If you want, you can also download the different year supplements; but, they don't have too much additional practical info.
Thank you for the info. There is not a huge leak at the rear main seal but my son is a real stickler for taking care of the problems as they arise and he is all for the work it will en tale to drop the transmission and replace the seal (and he has the space and tools to do it). All he said is that he would love to have detailed instructions on how to start the job. I will check out what you told me. Thanks again.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:53 PM
Super Moderator

No problem. Good luck.