General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Old wood creaking noise on bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2014, 08:33 PM
Default Old wood creaking noise on bumps?

I took a couple videos of my 97 accord. I just started to hear this old wood creaking noise, I think it's coming from the front suspension but not very sure.

The first video, about 3 seconds long, is the car turned off, and my pressing down on the car.

http://www.4shared.com/video/SPewnoXzba/IMG_8331.html

The second video, about 20 seconds, is the car going over a couple of speed bumps.

http://www.4shared.com/video/5sGSg1giba/IMG_8334.html

You may need to turn the volume all the way up.

Anyone know what this is? I tried to grease up some bushings in the front but I still hear it.

Old 07-13-2014, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you can produce the sound by bouncing on front end, try searching for source by touch w/ someone else providing bounce to front end. You should be able to locate the noise source.

Feel upper and lower ball jts, tie-rod BJ's (outer and inner by feel tie-rod arm).

Check anti-sway bar bushings and end link stack for same noise.

good luck

Old 07-16-2014, 09:15 PM

I couldn't find anyone to help me push down while I look, so I took it in to a shop.

The shop said all the bushings need to be cleaned and lubed, and/or replaced. But this shop can't do anything because my car has aftermarket suspension (it is lowered with coilovers)

I got a quote from another shop that will replace the following bushings...
control arm bushing - front
control arm bushing - rear
sway bar bushings

Am I missing any more bushings? The shop with the quote told me 'control arm' but do the upper and lower control arms have different bushings?

Old 07-18-2014, 06:58 PM

I have the same noise coming from my 94 on Neuspeed springs. It's been doing it for... idk a year and a half? Dry park test seems to be showing no play in any of my bushings or ball joints, so probably just needs greasing. Are they the same bushings that were on the car before you changed suspension?

Old 07-19-2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by kayweb
I have the same noise coming from my 94 on Neuspeed springs. It's been doing it for... idk a year and a half? Dry park test seems to be showing no play in any of my bushings or ball joints, so probably just needs greasing. Are they the same bushings that were on the car before you changed suspension?

Yeah it's the same OEM bushings. Car currently has 137,000 miles. Coilovers were installed at about 129,000 miles.

I just had a friend spray WD-40 and it seems to have done the trick for now. But I'm sure the noise will come again.

Old 07-19-2014, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mr97accord
I just had a friend spray WD-40 and it seems to have done the trick for now. But I'm sure the noise will come again.
Once that washes off - rain and time. When it comes back spray the bushings one at a time and drive the car. At some point you will spray one of them and the issue will go away......you just figured out which one is the issue and you can now replace it