General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Problem:Loud creak/popping noise on bumps

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 11:08 PM
grits
Unregistered
Default Problem:Loud creak/popping noise on bumps

I have a 2006 Honda Accord SE. Not long after I bought it I noticed that the car made a loud creaking/popping noise in the general vicinity of all four wheels when I went over bumps (end-of-driveway gutters, small road irregularities)at any speed. The sound seemed more pronounced in colder weather and virtually disappears in warm or wet weather. By the time I finally make it to the closest dealer, the noise has disappeared in all but the front driver side.

Check #1: I took my car in to the Honda dealer. I drive down the road with the service manager, but there's no noise -- it's wet outside from the rain, and that suggests to me that it could require a simple lubrication fix. But I'll have to bring the car back some day when it's not wet outside.

Check #2: I get back to the Honda dealer. They took a look and told me they'd have to order a part. Two weeks later I go in and they replace the strut.

The noise is still there.

Check #3: I finally get to the local dealer again. They disconnect the swaybar, drive the car around, reconnect the swaybar and tell me the noise is gone. I take my car home, but before the day is over, I notice that the noise is still there.

Check #4: I take my car in for another diagnosis. I considered it lucky that it was the coldest week of the year...should be perfect. They keep the car for a day and tell me that they have heard the noise and that one of their technicians is able to replicate the sound by lifting up on the frame of the car in a particular way (later they determined it wasn't the same noise). They've had the service manager and a few technicians trying to figure out what's going on. However, they think it's deep inside the body and theyneed to take it to their body shop for a few days. At the body shop, they can't figure out what it is, but someone's coming from out-of-town who will take a look at it. Guess what: two people are looking at the car and can't agree on what the problem is. But guess what: after they took the front bumper off and put it back on, the noise seemed to be gone (note that the weather was much warmer by now) and I can come get my car. So, on this visit, the service dept spent 2 days on my car and the body shop spent 4 days on my car....costing them lots in time and labor.

Within ten miles it became obvious to me that my car was still making that awful noise.

I'm really frustrated:
- I've been to Honda 5 times and they can't figure out what my problem is
- going to Honda is inconvenient on several counts
- I want them to look at it again but I'm afraid they still won't be able to find the problem
- I want to get this fixed while it's still under warranty (11 more months), but the cold weather will be gone soon
- I don't know squat about cars and expect the Honda service department to know enough to fix my problem
- I know other people with this problem, too.

Has anyone heard of a similar problem and a valid fix?

Desperately frustrated

Old 02-23-2008, 11:17 PM
Default RE: Problem:Loud creak/popping noise on bumps

No idea about the problem. Maybe try other Honda dealerships? I know it's inconvenient but you're gonna have to keep visiting the dealership to get this problem solved. You definitely wanna get it done while it's still under warranty. Or else it'll be hours upon hours of labor.

Unless of course, someone else on this forum knows of this problem.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:33 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

This may seem stupid but my jack mount is lose and when going over speed bumps its makes a loud sound like that. I took my jack out of the mount in the trunk and the sound went away. May not be that but I hope this helps.

Old 02-24-2008, 09:02 PM

My 93 has done that foryears. I have no idea what causes it but it's only when it's cold. I figured my struts were blown out, but it drives fine so I haven't really checked into it.

Old 02-25-2008, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Stuff like the rubber bushings in the suspension control arms. Rubber pivot bushings for each anti-roll bar. Those type of things can squeak when they're cold& hard. Working them (by driving over bumps) will warm them up so they get quiet.

Water spray from the road can get in there & lubricate them.

2006 is pretty new for a car to be doing that stuff. Is it still under warranty???