General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

OPINION: OTC 7448A Fuel Injection Cleaner Tool

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2018, 02:44 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default OPINION: OTC 7448A Fuel Injection Cleaner Tool

Anyone have experience with the OTC 7448A Fuel Injection Cleaner tool?

This thing is purpose-built to connect directly to the fuel rail (or just at the damper with an adapter) where it bypasses the fuel system and delivers fuel injector solvent under pressure, either their propriety brew, Inject-R-Kleen, or any similar product; eg: BG FIS, Chevron Techron, etc. (BG offers a similar device: the "VIA".).

The thing requires an air compressor to work. You hook-up shop air to the canister and dial-in the rail pressure for your vehicle. You then disable your fuel pump. fill the canister with solvent and hook up the delivery hose to your car's fuel rail via a quick-connect adapter. Open the valve, start the engine, and let it run until the canister is emptied (indicated by a stalled engine). Repeat with another can, or schedule another session twice a year or so. Cool huh?

I'm not a fan of gas-additive fuel injector cleaners, nor am I keen on the onerous chore of removing each injector for direct cleaning. At just over a measly hundred bucks for the 7448A (plus another twenty or so for the adapter), this seems like a reasonable regular maintenance tool for the home shop.

Anyone care to vouch for the OTC 7448A tool?

Last edited by lothian; 11-03-2018 at 09:23 AM.
Old 11-02-2018, 03:17 PM

Never heard of this.

I just use B-12 or Seafoam.
Pour 1 can in the gas tank, once a year.

Old 11-02-2018, 03:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by rockhoundrob
Never heard of this.

I just use B-12 or Seafoam.
Pour 1 can in the gas tank, once a year.
Yup, same here B-12 or Techron once a year.
On my older vehicles, I might treat them to some premium once in a while.

Old 11-02-2018, 05:38 PM
Super Moderator

Geez, mechanical snake oil.

Old 11-02-2018, 07:08 PM
Super Moderator

Even snake oil makes your car faster - because your wallet is lighter.

I've occasionally poured Techron in the tank, but it's probably been a couple years. It can only work to the extent that things are gummed up with crud. You'd have to buy a lot of fuel from shady places before you NEED that.

Old 11-03-2018, 09:39 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Question for those of you who've replied, and who use Seafoam, and/or other gas additive solvents:
Have you taken a gander inside your intake plenum (manifold) or scoped the inside of your cylinders, or peeked at the back of your intake valves? Granted, these aren't particularly pleasant tasks but neither are they particularly difficult. Nothing confirms efficacy like empirical observation, the opposite of "faith" of course.

Anywho...
BG offers the 'Vehicle Injection Apparatus', a tool that injects solvent into the intake plenum at the throttle body or the pvc port as well as through the fuel rail. The BG "VIA" seems the better tool investment than the OTC 7448A, Mityvac MV5567, et.al, Problem is, I can't source the thing..

Old 11-03-2018, 10:43 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by lothian
Question for those of you who've replied, and who use Seafoam, and/or other gas additive solvents:
Have you taken a gander inside your intake plenum (manifold) or scoped the inside of your cylinders, or peeked at the back of your intake valves? Granted, these aren't particularly pleasant tasks but neither are they particularly difficult. Nothing confirms efficacy like empirical observation, the opposite of "faith" of course.
Yes, I have peeked, what do those things have to do with wasting time on cleaning injectors? Answer, nothing.

Originally Posted by lothian
Anywho...
BG offers the 'Vehicle Injection Apparatus', a tool that injects solvent into the intake plenum at the throttle body or the pvc port as well as through the fuel rail. The BG "VIA" seems the better tool investment than the OTC 7448A, Mityvac MV5567, et.al, Problem is, I can't source the thing..
Why bother screwing around cleaning the plenum? Unless there is something terribly wrong with your engine, the minor layer of varnish on the inside the plenum is irrelevant.

Old 11-03-2018, 06:01 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by shipo
Yes, I have peeked, what do those things have to do with wasting time on cleaning injectors? Answer, nothing.

Why bother screwing around cleaning the plenum? Unless there is something terribly wrong with your engine, the minor layer of varnish on the inside the plenum is irrelevant.
Most times the inside of the plenum has a layer of oil mist and carbon deposits. Yes, I've looked. The oil mist is PCV by products, while the carbon deposits are from the EGR.

When I use B-12 or Techron, it's because the car has been parked a while, and the fuel has lost it's vitamins.

Old 11-04-2018, 07:45 PM
Super Moderator

I had my 95 accord injectors sent off to get cleaned and balanced after >200K miles. I never used additives in my gasoline. My injectors were almost 100% expected volume on all 4 injectors and all balanced.

I took off my intake on my 95 accord around the same time. There was a slight buildup inside, but nothing that would cause performance issues IMO.