General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Overheating question.

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 07:47 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Overheating question.

I'd appreciate some input on this.

I have a '94 DX. Recently had the radiator coolant flushed and replaced. I've noticed that after every trip, one of the fans kicks in about 2-minutes after I turn the engine off.

Any ideas as to why? I'll be honest and say that I don't remember if 'she' did this before. It's been humid and in the mid-80s and 90s (I'm in D.C. metro). Sometimes the fan will kick in when I'm in heavy traffic - the gauge stays put. I don't run AC.

I figured it could be anything from the mechanic putting in the wrong water/coolant mix to the weather being just darn hot. I'm primarily concerned with the fan kicking in shortly after engine turn off. Also, trying to figure out why just one fan kicks in. I've had this car for 8 years and I've only see that one fan kick in.

Anyway... again... I'd appreciate some input.

Thank you.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

It is normal for the fans to "kick on" after driving in warm temps. It is a way the car to try to "cool off" in warm temps, even after it is off. I forget the timing/temps, the fans will kick on after sutting off the car for a few minutes. Once the coolant falls below a certain temp they will/should shut off.
To be safe, check the coolant level and be sure it is full and if you can be sure there isn't any air trapped in the system. The shop that "flushed" the system should have bled the air out....

Old 06-10-2010, 08:02 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

If when driving your Honda doesn’t overheat all sounds normal. I believe the one fan is run off of a temp sensor and the other is the AC. When the dealership used to install AC into a DX way back when the second fan was part of the package. The fan running for a few minutes is normal after shuting it off. Mine 95 started doing that every time I shut it off and I finally looked at the gauge and it was overheating.

Old 06-10-2010, 09:15 PM
Super Moderator

For 1994 the fan control system is supposed to work like this:

While the engine's running the fan switch in the thermostat housing will switch both fans together.

Also, the AC will switch both fans together whenever the compressor clutch engages.

After turning off the engine, the other fan switch (upper radiator hose nozzle at the head) controls one fan ( the radiator fan ) the one on the passenger side of the car,,, (not both).

Last edited by deserthonda; 06-10-2010 at 11:59 PM.