General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0175 CEL right after CV Axel Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 11:22 AM
Default P0175 CEL right after CV Axel Replacement

Hi, newbie here. I just had the driver-side CV axle replaced on my 1996 Honda Accord LX Station Wagon (147,000 miles). Immediately after that the transmission starting not wanting to shift, even though prior to that it was working perfectly. By the next day, the transmission would barely shift and the CEL came on and threw a P0715 (NOT P0175) code. I checked the tranny fluid and it looked fine. Jacked the front end up and the replaced axle turned just fine, with no play at all, unlike the old one of the other side that had a bit of play in it. Took the car back and the guys claimed they checked the shaft sensor wires and said they were fine and shrugged their shoulders. They also swore they didn't add any fluid to the transmission.

Is there anything these yahoos could have done to cause this? Seems awful strange to be such a horrible coincidence.

thanks to anyone who might have any ideas.

Last edited by Asok Smith; 01-11-2015 at 10:12 AM. Reason: typo
Old 01-11-2015, 06:30 AM
Super Moderator

Hard to say if the work done is related to the two different issues.

Trans shfting - I'll assume there are no other codes, one related to the trans (D4 light on all the time). Check the fluid level, on Honda's this is done when the fluid is warm. I would then check the "throttle control cable" to be sure it is adjusted correctly.

The P0175 - this is from the engine, fuel system too rich. Start simple and be sure the regular tune up items are up to date (air filter, plugs, ect). I'm never a fan of throwing money at an issue without testing but O2 sensors do get old and lazy - so this could be the front O2 has just worn out.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

The trouble code is probably P0715 instead of P0175 (numbers transposed).

A/T DTC P0715 is problem in the mainshaft speed sensor circuit. P0715 is set when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is not seeing a speed signal from the mainshaft speed sensor or there is a greater than a specified value difference between the VSS and countershaft speed sensor.

There is a Honda service bulletin (TSB 01-012):

Honda TSB 01-012

If someone has a scan tool, they can compare the speed values of the mainshaft speed sensor to the countershaft speed sensor and VSS (vehicle speed sensor).

Old 01-11-2015, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The trouble code is probably P0715 instead of P0175 (numbers transposed).

A/T DTC P0715 is problem in the mainshaft speed sensor circuit. P0715 is set when the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) is not seeing a speed signal from the mainshaft speed sensor or there is a greater than a specified value difference between the VSS and countershaft speed sensor.

There is a Honda service bulletin (TSB 01-012):

Honda TSB 01-012

If someone has a scan tool, they can compare the speed values of the mainshaft speed sensor to the countershaft speed sensor and VSS (vehicle speed sensor).
True code IS P0715! I must have had a brain fart when I typed it in my original post. I went back and edited the post. thanks for noticing that and the tip on the service bulletin!

Old 01-11-2015, 12:38 PM
Super Moderator

P0715 is for the mainshaft speed sensor, not to be confused with the vehicle speed sensor.

It is strange that you have that code right after a CV joint replacement. Replacing the CV joint should have no influence on that sensor, so check to ensure the sensor wasn't accidentally unplugged/damaged.

I'd suggest getting the pdf of the 94 accord shop manual, because it is almost identical to your accord. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to a thread for online shop manuals. The honda-tech site has the 94 manual. That will show you the location of the sensor and some troubleshooting. I attached a pdf of the location.

Let us know how this turns out.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
MS Speed Sensor.pdf (72.0 KB, 87 views)
Old 01-11-2015, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
P0715 is for the mainshaft speed sensor, not to be confused with the vehicle speed sensor.

It is strange that you have that code right after a CV joint replacement. Replacing the CV joint should have no influence on that sensor, so check to ensure the sensor wasn't accidentally unplugged/damaged.

I'd suggest getting the pdf of the 94 accord shop manual, because it is almost identical to your accord. The common diy thread on top of the gen tech help forum has a link to a thread for online shop manuals. The honda-tech site has the 94 manual. That will show you the location of the sensor and some troubleshooting. I attached a pdf of the location.

thanks for the manual tip, and you bet, I'll keep the forum updated.

Old 01-12-2015, 07:05 AM

The main shaft sensor is located on the lower front right of the transmission. The wire then runs up to the connector which is located almost at the top of the transmission on the front right side. Essentially if you stand at the front of the car you should be able to see it one your left side near the top of the transmission and kind of near the starter. I don't see any reason why anyone would ever need to disconnect it for an axle replacement.

Old 01-13-2015, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda

Here's the upshot: the shop I brought this to said they ran enough of he the diagnosis in the service bulletin that it showed I needed a new transmission; I think they also said it wouldn't shift from 2nd to 3rd gear. Interestingly enough, while driving it home, I discovered shifting manually works pretty well.

At any rate, it's a nearly 20 year old car with 170,000 miles, worth maybe $1,000.00 KBB if it had a working transmission, so not worth fixing, particularly if you add another 3-4 hundred to replace the captive front brake rotors and pads.

So, I'm probably gonna buy a late model, super low mileage, end-of-lease Accord sedan EX/SE with builtin Honda Certified Pre-Owned warranty for 15k or so.

thanks for the help, everyone!