General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1259: Missing Rocker Pins

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2015, 08:23 AM
Default P1259: Missing Rocker Pins

First post, so forgive me:

I bought a 1998 Accord LX (2.3 L4) for my girlfriend about a month ago after she was in an accident. I have my own civic, and have became very familiar and fond of Hondas, so I snagged the Accord.

The issue: I had a P1259 code, and the car was, as you may know, in 'limp mode' (i.e. no VTEC).

I replaced the VTEC solenoid, no dice. I looked all over the forums and internet, and everyone, including the dealer, said that should fix it.

Out of nothing more than curiosity, I popped the top of the motor off, to take a look at the rockers, and guess what I see... a spring.... laying in the top of the motor. My heart sank.

After further digging, I found three long synchronizing pins, and one shorter pin, as well as the one spring. So that explains why the VTEC was not engaging: I have no pins to engage.

Either the missing pieces have fallen down into the oil pan (I haven't had the chance to take it off yet, I am in College and don't have a garage). But the more likely story is the mechanic that sold it to me knew this, and dumped the car.

SO, my question is, where can i get these pins? I can not for the life of me find them, and I can not afford top buy for new rockers. Anyone have any ideas? I will attempt to add pictures of the pieces I am missing

In the picture, Youll see a small spring, a small pin (cylinder) and the little piece the spring appears to be attached to (call it the notched pin).

In short, I am missing four notched pins, three springs, three short rollers and one long roller (about twice the size of the short one in the picture)

The second attachment shows the assembly. It better illustrates the four pieces. Someone please help me find these bad boys. Thanks a million guys.

Attached Thumbnails P1259: Missing Rocker Pins-pieces.jpg   P1259: Missing Rocker Pins-assembly.jpg  
Old 02-02-2015, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Honda parts may be able to supply the small parts, however I suspect they will only be sold in a assembly w/ the other expensive parts. Suggest inquiring directly w/ a Honda parts outlet.

Your best bet is likely to buy a used cylinder head and rob necessary parts (entire valve train assy) from that head. Check ebay and car-part.com for options.

good luck

Old 02-02-2015, 09:33 AM
Administrator

TexasHonda's point is well made..cost will be so much less that the dealer prices..

WheelBrokerAng

Old 02-02-2015, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Honda parts may be able to supply the small parts, however I suspect they will only be sold in a assembly w/ the other expensive parts. Suggest inquiring directly w/ a Honda parts outlet.

Your best bet is likely to buy a used cylinder head and rob necessary parts (entire valve train assy) from that head. Check ebay and car-part.com for options.

good luck
Thanks a lot. Never done any of this, is there a Honda outlet you would suggest?

Old 02-02-2015, 10:28 AM

I checked Majestic Honda. There are many online Honda parts outlets. The small parts are apparently available. See following menu item.

Honda Automotive Parts

good luck

Old 02-02-2015, 11:30 AM

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
I checked Majestic Honda. There are many online Honda parts outlets. The small parts are apparently available. See following menu item.

Honda Automotive Parts

good luck
Am I missing something? I looked here too, but don't see any of the pieces I need.

Old 02-02-2015, 02:27 PM

I was unsure what parts were missing and posted the link to parts for you.

If desired parts are not available then used part is only option.

cylinder head 1998 Honda Accord LX 2.3L | eBay

Car-part.com is another source. Here's the link:

http://www.car-part.com/

good luck