General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P1259 vtec code

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 12:17 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by gdmech22

If the fan switch wire colors are supposed to be green and black, what are the vtec switch wire colors supposed to be?
The VTEC oil pressure switch has a 2P harness connector with a Blu/Blk wire and a Brn/Blk wire.

The VTEC solenoid valve has a 1P gray connector with only a Lt Grn/Wht wire on the solenoid side, and Grn/Yel on the harness connector side. It does not have a separate black wire, as the ground should be at the base of the solenoid valve.

There are several strange items based on what you've posted. For example:
  • a connector with an orange and black wire
  • a connector with 2 wires instead of one wire for the VTEC solenoid valve

Old 06-30-2014, 06:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The VTEC oil pressure switch has a 2P harness connector with a Blu/Blk wire and a Brn/Blk wire.

The VTEC solenoid valve has a 1P gray connector with only a Lt Grn/Wht wire on the solenoid side, and Grn/Yel on the harness connector side. It does not have a separate black wire, as the ground should be at the base of the solenoid valve.

There are several strange items based on what you've posted. For example:
  • a connector with an orange and black wire
  • a connector with 2 wires instead of one wire for the VTEC solenoid valve
Hello redbull-1,

Maybe part of my past post(s) were a bit unclear. Yes, there's only one wire to the vtec "solenoid" which checks out good, (17.5 ohms), and the lead wire is green with a white or yellow stripe in color.
This part of the circuit is working properly, both solenoid operation and oil pressure to the vtec switch port are good when the solenoid is powered on.

The problem I was having was, like the solenoid socket which is gray in color, I assumed a second 2 pin socket which is gray in color was the vtec switch socket. The wire colors to this socket are green and black and would trigger the fans on when connected to the vtec switch.

On top of the thermostat housing was a green, 2 pin socket with wire colors orange and black. Nothing would happen when this socket was connected or jumped.

Checking the wire harness, I noticed fresh electrical tape that was peeling from oil so I cut the harness shield and found the following...

(1), At the green socket which is supposed to be the cooling fans, the orange and black leads were added and soldered to what seems the blue and brown vtec wires.

(2) The gray 2 pin socket which has the green and black lead wires and which trigger the fans on looks original with no cuts or additions to the harness.

Temporarily joining the vtec leads, I was able to reset the MIL which stays off and seems to be working. Once I repair the vtec socket I'll run further tests.

Thanks again redbull-1, TexasHonda, and poorman212 for your help!

Last edited by gdmech22; 06-30-2014 at 06:12 PM.