General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Periodically engine just dies while driving. Tough to restart, seems fuel starved

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2017, 05:31 PM
Default Periodically engine just dies while driving. Tough to restart, seems fuel starved

When I start my '99 Accord the Maint. required light blinks 3 or 4 times. Engine starts just fine, drives normal, no rough idle, nothing noticeable. The other day, was sitting at a stop light & the engine simply stopped, little to no fuel pressure (fuel pump?) bc the starter just turned & turned, wouldn't start, had to apply accelerator, hard several times, pumping pedal hard to get fuel, finally started & ran just fine, again, no problems for approximately 25+ miles, maybe more, then as I was pulling out of a parking lot into moving traffic, again, same thing, motor just didn't have fuel & would not start by key or by dropping clutch in 2nd/3rd gear (manual trans), nothing until I pump the accelerator several times. Once the car starts it runs perfectly normal.
I'm thinking it's a fuel pump issue? why else would I have to step into the accelerator so many times to get the thing to fire. Can't be ignitor/coil as I would simply be dead, no spark, no fire?
Anyone ever have this happen to them? Couldn't find a similar thread for this era of Accord 2.3ltr 4cyl, manual trans '99 Accord EX

Last edited by Stonacek; 02-11-2017 at 05:34 PM. Reason: trying to post for help
Old 02-11-2017, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Had to "call" this a fuel issue only.

Being a 99 4 cyl I have to ask if the normal maint items of the ign system are up to date - plugs, cap, rotor, inspect/test wires?

Yes the fuel pump relay (main relay) can go "flaky" but so can a few other systems (ign and ign switch). Fair;y simple to tap into the power wire to the fuel pump and add a "light" that is on when power is going to the pump.....then what does the light do when the car acts up