General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 08:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation Please help!!

Hey guys,
Okay I've been having this problem with my car whenever I brake. It's a 94 Accord EX Coupe. Lets start off with the fact that I did get new brake pads and rotors about 3 months ago. Everything was fine until recently whenever I brake I feel the car shaking violently (the faster I was going the harder the vehicle will shake when braking.)
I took it to my mechanic and he said that I need new front tires (they are camber) and that I need a wheel alignment. So I did that.. But I still feel the shaking whenever I go over about 50mph. Not only does the car shake but the steering wheel also vibrates and shakes violently. I don't know what to do.
I was told that the rotors could be warped, but I just got new ones so I figure that's out of the question but again I could be wrong because sometimes they are malfunctioned. My friend said I should "scratch" the rotors to make them even cause they could be warped.

I don't know what to do but all I know is I am frightened whenever I brake that I HAVE to pull the E brake so I can slow down easier.

Someone please help or give some kind of advice. I'm loosing my mind!

Thanks,

Deanna -_-

Old 04-19-2011, 08:37 AM

Sounds like warped front rotors. If you ever have a situation where the car drives normally, but will shake under breaking, its not tires, or balance or alignment, its warped rotors. Further evidence is that it stops correctly using the emergency brake, which only uses the rear brakes.

Despite what your mechanic tells you, warped rotors are caused primarily by incorrect torquing of lug nuts. Replace the the rotors in the front, torque the lug nuts with a torque wrench, and you'll be fine.

New front rotors, OEM equivalent are about $60/pair. I'm not a big fan of "turning down rotors" for any reason.

Also, don't use the emergency brake to stop. If you yank hard enough, the back end of the car will kick out, and unless you're a skilled driver, you will lose complete control of your car.

Last edited by tkrotchko; 04-19-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Thank you. I believe I still have a warranty on the rotors from when I bought them. I'm going to have to speak to the guy who did them. Maybe I don't have to pay for it since it was malfunctioned. >.<

Old 04-19-2011, 08:47 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Well I don't pull the brake all the way up, only slightly and to be honest, it works. No slipping, sliding or whatnot. I just called my mechanic and he said that I shouldn't have a problem with replacing them and that I should still be under warranty.

I actually surprise myself sometimes.. I'm pretty skilled

Thank you for your help. I'm going to take care of this on Saturday.