General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Please help! Is this my trannie!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 01:03 PM
Question Please help! Is this my trannie!!!???

Hi. Okay. I'm hoping this is not a transmission issue, but I think it is. I don't know what I should do. I'm looking for advice as to whether or not I should try to get my car fixed or just get a new one. I've already spent like $1000 on it in the last month doing repairs. I'm going to go broke over this car!!

It's a 2000 Honda Accord EX, V6. It has 165,000 miles on it.

Basically, I took it in for a minor maintenance. Next thing I knew, I turn it on and it revvs up and down for no reason from 1 to 2 rpm. If I hit the gas hard while it park, it seems to snap my car out of that. ??? Weird.

Also, when I first turn it on in the morning or if it's been sitting for a while, it'll do the revving thing. And I'll hit the gas when it's in drive and sometimes it won't do anything and then, BAM, it'll go into gear.

It wasn't doing this two weeks ago.

A transmission guy looked at it last week and said it's not shifting as smoothly as he'd like. He said down the road, it may need a rebuild. He wasn't so sure this revving thing and lack of response thing was for sure the trannie.

I'm so confused.

Should I just buy a new car? I don't have much money, but at the rate I'm going, I might as well be paying payments each month!!!

Jen

Old 05-02-2010, 05:59 PM

p.s. It seems to do better if I warm it up. Today I did that and I had NONE of the symptoms mentioned. ????

Old 05-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It sounds like its the tranny...6th generation V6 accords are notorious for transmission failure. You lucky you got that much mileage out of the car. Usually they go out at 120-130k. Or it can be one of the shift sensors. Have you checked your fluid? Are there metal shards? When my tranny went out, it would clunk when it was cold and shift a little better when warm. Those are some of the signs. Let us know.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:47 PM

OH no, really! That is not good news. I checked the fluid. It seems fine. I didn't check for little metal particles or anything, so I will. It doesn't clunk at all when cold and I'm in Minnesota! But, it does...basically this weird "I'm not going to shift into first" thing in the morning. If I warm it up, it'll do it. I went to a dealer and they offered $3300 to trade it in! I am thinking I should jump on that!!! I doubt it's worth that much.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:46 AM

The revving up and down thing isn't a tranny issue. I'm not saying you don't have a tranny issue, I'm just saying that the revving part is not the tranny.

I've had this problem before, and if I remember correctly, it's a sensor (and/or) an air fuel ratio valve/sensor issue.

Have an ASE certified mechanic take a look at it (Honda SHOULD diagnose it for FREE with a detailed report), then let us know what they say!