General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Steering Rack Leaking?

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2006, 10:25 AM
Default Power Steering Rack Leaking?

Hi, I need help? I have 95 accord 2dr ex vtec 233K miles and the power steering rack leaking from the left side of the boot, it was cracked and broken, don't know how long, but power steering is working fine. I bring to local shop and they quote for $500 to replaced with a remanufacture part. If I don't fixed now, how long can I drine the car? Would there be any major problem? thenk you.

Old 09-01-2006, 02:12 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Power Steering Rack Leaking?

you can drive the car as long as you want,,,,,,,as long as you keep on adding fluid you will have p/s assist ,,
Now,,,i do not know how bad the leak is ,, but if you add fluid into reservoir and 2 days later it is empty ,, i would advice either to fix it or drive with no p/s assist

500 dollars part and labor ,, including an alignment,, cause they have to align the car after replacing the rack is a fair price ....

ask the shop to use a MAVAL reman rack ,, I have installed dozens of them and had only 1 come back on me

CROWN rack not such of a good luck

Old 09-01-2006, 05:42 PM

Thank Desert, the $500 job is not including alignment. The leak is not that bad, the fluid in the reservoir is at the upper middle full mark during all this years. I will keep driving until the leak is real bad as you stated "if you add fluid into reservoir and 2 days later it is empty ,, i would advice either to fix it or drive with no p/s assist" then I will fixed. And one more question, why do the online stores want to charge the old core when you buy the p/s rack/pinion? It there a place that doen't charge the core? thank you.

Old 09-04-2006, 06:41 PM

Hi guys, can you here help find out what is the problem is. My cosin work at the toyota help change the timing belt, balance belt, cam, crank, balance shaft seal, and oil pump gasket, the retainer due to the oil is leaking. After this and p/s belt making a squeal noise, and the p/s fluid is leaking from the reserior. My questiong is it is related to the p/s rack/pinion lelft boots is broken, I didn't change the new belt for alt/ac and p/s belts, use the old one. Please somebody help, should I change the new belts, and my cosin said the bearing is worn, I don't know what bearing he talking about (might be the crakshaft bearing). Thank you.

Old 09-04-2006, 09:48 PM

I am going to stick my nose in here as well, this question is about a different but similar car--and is a quite similar question. It is a 90 Legend coupe. The right side steering boot is a mess, I already plan to replace it. Question for me is, how much fluid (if any) should be present....it is leaking like a drop every week--does the rack need to be replaced or is this normal??

Thanks

Old 09-05-2006, 03:27 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

all the stores want the p/s rack back ,, or you have to pay core.. the reason being is that ,, they rebuilt the rack that you give them and resell it ..

Old 07-10-2007, 01:16 PM
charlieph2004
Unregistered

CAN SOME ONE SEND ME A PIC OF A RACK AND PINION

Old 07-10-2007, 01:23 PM
Old 07-12-2007, 06:45 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I would suggest trying a bottle of Lucas Power Steering Stop Leak. My father had a persistent leak on the steering rack of his 97 Avalon which was driving him crazy. It would leak a teaspoon over a few days onto his garage floor. He was ready to get a new rack, but I had read some glowing reports of Lucas power steering stop leak and suggested he try that before replacing the rack. After about a week, the leak stopped entirely. That's been 2-3 years ago and the leak has not returned. A bottle cost about $9 + shipping. See following link. It's widely available at auto parts stores. http://www.amazon.com/Lucas-Power-St.../dp/B0002JMLUG

If you try this, let the forum know how it works for you.

good luck