General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Power Steering Pump vs Rack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 09:24 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Power Steering Pump vs Rack?

Hi Everyone,

1992 Accord EX with 176,000 miles which I've owned for 20 years. Lots of city driving for most of the life on this car...

Approx 1 month ago, I replaced the power steering pump with a O'Riellys rebuilt...The steering while turning the wheel was paulsing from lock to lock position.

The rebuilt pump solved the problem for a month, now the paulse and not so smooth operation from turn lock to lock operation has returned with a whining sound as well.

The rebult pump could be a lemon, but how does one determine or check if the rack and pinion operation is worn and if this is the problem?

Thanks,
Tim

Last edited by 1992ACCEX Tim; 07-01-2012 at 11:21 AM. Reason: better discription added
Old 07-01-2012, 12:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Whining is usually resulting from air mixed w/ PS fluid. If a foamy fluid is returning to reservoir, air is being pulled in somewhere on suction side, usually right at the motor (max suction). Pump may have developed leaks. AZ and O'Riellys parts are not always the best (I use them also). Check hoses (too hard to seal!) or cracked.

You can download a manual from Online Manuals post in DIY forum. There is a good diagnostic chart for PS system. Air in fluid is one cause of rough/uneven steering.

good luck

Old 07-01-2012, 12:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Thanks,

There is no foaming in the reservoir. I will check the DIY section for trouble shooting.

Again, many thanks and best regards.
Tim

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
Whining is usually resulting from air mixed w/ PS fluid. If a foamy fluid is returning to reservoir, air is being pulled in somewhere on suction side, usually right at the motor (max suction). Pump may have developed leaks. AZ and O'Riellys parts are not always the best (I use them also). Check hoses (too hard to seal!) or cracked.

You can download a manual from Online Manuals post in DIY forum. There is a good diagnostic chart for PS system. Air in fluid is one cause of rough/uneven steering.

good luck

Old 07-07-2012, 10:28 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Hi,

Question, is there a strainer or screan that filters the P/S fluid on the suction side inside the reservoir to the pump?

Thanks,
Tim

Old 07-07-2012, 11:23 PM

I believe the base of the reservoir has a filter that strains outgoing fluid. If it were blocked the pump suction might go too low and cause your whining.

Filter pad is not accessible to replace to my knowledge. Replace reservoir.

good luck

Old 07-08-2012, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

You can try to clean the filter...kind of a screen.

Then re-fill with Honda PS fluid - not universal - approved Honda/Acura ps fluid only IMO. Bleed the air and see what you got from there.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:05 AM
Newest Of Newbies

I checked all suction side hoses and all are tight with no leaks. Must be as you guys say “restricted flow from the reservoir to the suction of the pump”. I will probably order a new reservoir and suction hose; I do not mined throwing a few new parts at this car. It has served us very well over the last 20 years.

Do you recommend a complete P/S fluid change? The fluid for being in the system for 20 years looks clear of a light golden color...not bad in my opinion?

The fluid flush procedure is to use the P/S pump and disconnect hose at the return to the reservoir. Will this clear all fluid, is there a drain nipple at the P/S rack?

With the pump have restricted flow at the suction. Can this damage the pump from the lack of lubrication during operation?

I know, too many question for first thing Sunday morning. The Honda power steering fluid is $4.50 for 12oz and it’s sold in pretty little 12oz bottles only. Do you know where I can purchase 2 quarts do a complete flush at a better price? I just hate feeling and knowing like I’ve just fallen into the dealer marketing traps…

Thanks,
Tim

Old 07-08-2012, 10:29 AM

Autozone has some larger qt bottles of PS fluid that claims Honda compatible. I have used some w/o problems.

Not sure why Honda requires a special fluid and toyota uses ATF Dexron fluid for PS fluid.

Prefill the new reservoir w/ fluid. I used a rubber cap to seal the return line nipple on the reservoir and directed the return fluid via a hose extension to a catch bottle (5qt oil bottle).

good luck

Old 07-14-2012, 06:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Smile

Update...I changed the P/S reservoir today and all is good. The built in reservoir filter was the problem.

The new reservoir filter looks different than the original. It has a larger screen filter area than original.

I just wanted to thank you all for the help. If it wasn't for your advise, I probably would of changed the rack and pinion...what a relief this tip turned out to be...

Many thanks,
Tim

Old 07-14-2012, 07:49 PM
Super Moderator

Thanks for the update. Most people don't post the results. Hopefully this will help others out with the same problem.