General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power Window

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 02:01 PM
joeflip
Unregistered
Default Power Window

I've had my driver's side power window fixed three times by the dealer an an "expert" Honda mechanic. The motor has been replaced three times. The relay, once. When they fix it, it works intermittently, affter I go over a bump, then it stops.It's broken again, won't open. Can anyone please help?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:15 PM
Default RE: Power Window

sounds like you've got an exposed wire somewhere that is hitting ground or shorting somehow and killing the windows. After that many replacements does the dealership have any ideas? Did they ever work on it when the car was under warranty?

Old 10-25-2007, 06:52 PM
joeflip
Unregistered

sir_nasty,

Thank you for your reply. The problem arose after the warranty. The last time it was fixed, the mechanic showed me the motor and said he suspected that the copper brushes were flimsey and bent back far enough that they no longer made contact. He replaced the motor, no charge. Two days later, it was broken again

Old 10-25-2007, 06:54 PM

go to www.1aauto.com and order one of their motors/regulators with a lifetime warranty. Good prices and I've sent a few people there for the motors/regulators and bought one myself with fantastic results.

Old 10-25-2007, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Three motors failing is hard to believe. I would suspect a faulty door switch or possibly faulty connector somewhere in the wiring to the motor.

Suggest directly jumping the switch w/ a short loop of wire to simulate the switch closed. This should prove the motor is OK. You will need a wiring diagram to do this. Motor is always hot and switch supplies ground to enable. A jumper wire from ground can simulate the switch circuit and actuate the motor.

I once had a fuse that kept failing suggesting an overload, however I noticed the fuse was melted, and not blown. After testing it was apparent the clip was too loosely fitting the fuse creating additional resistance and heat which caused the fuseto fail from overheating. I bent the clip closed and never blew a fuse after that. Look for the simple solution, not the complex. A very smart English clergyman called Occam (William of Occam) figured this out centuries ago. See Occams Razor on Wikipedia.

good luck

Old 10-25-2007, 10:29 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

hard to believe that a DEALER and an EXPERT honda tech would just keep on replacing motors and not get to the bottom of what is really causing the problem,,
if problem happens after you go over a bump.. sounds like there is a poor connection somewhere , a wire that gets shorted , loose connector ??

But still that does not explain the motors going bad ,, i have never heard of that ( 3 motors ) .??? wow ..
in what time span did they replace the motors??? what did they say was the problem with the motors ??

this is something that a tech needs to have hands on and look at the etm and trace the wiring and test them ,, intermittent electrical problems could a PITA at times ..

Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

maybe they have the wrong level fuse in there, and when it shorts out, the motor blows because the fuse doesnt, because its too high?

btw...
DONT short the power windows.
I did on my 96, to check to make sure i had the right wire, and blew 3 power window fuses (oddly enough not 4...) and the power mirror fuse (all from shorting ONE power window motor)

So wrong level fuse + short = blown actuator.

Old 10-25-2007, 11:12 PM
Administrator

Does not sound to me that this is an expert Honda or Any car make mechanic..go to a electrical tech nician in a alternator / starter repair shop , and see if they can pin point the problem...

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]