General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Problem Starting Accord

Old 08-30-2007, 07:12 AM
bjl584
Unregistered
Default Problem Starting Accord

I have a 1990 Honda Accord with 234,000 miles on it. Recently it was tuned up with new plugs, wires, etc. Here is the issue. First thing in the morning it will start right up and runs fine, but after it sits all day, say while I'm at work, it won't start in the evening. It will just crank and crank and never fire. I find it odd that the car just sitting outside in the sun all day could somehow effect it from being able to start. The car is not throwing any codes, so I am assuming that all of the O2 sensors and the EGR valve are working properly. Can anyone help me out with this issue so I can solve this? Thanks in advance to anyone that is able to shed some light on this issue.

-Brian

Old 08-30-2007, 09:06 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Problem Starting Accord

Search for 'main relay' here & in the DIY section.

The main fuel relay switches power to the fuel pump and lots of them were built with defective solder joints. The result is they don't switch well when the interior of the car is real hot.

Turn the key to 'ON' but don't immediately turn to 'START'. Listen for a click near your knees (main relay location). Also listen for the fuel pump to run for a couple seconds then the relay clicks again to turn it off. The pump isn't very loud, so you may need someone to listen at the fuel filler pipe.

The clicking can help you find & identify the relay. If you know how to use a soldering iron it takes only a couple minutes to fix it. The common way for it to fail is the relay will click but it won't complete the circuit to the fuel pump. Fix it by re-melting the connections on the circuit board.