General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with speedo

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2008, 09:01 PM
flexaccordwagon92
Unregistered
Default problems with speedo

I got a 92 accord wagon lx since i got it the speedo is not working and the d4 light start blinking when driving after 10 miles os i check the codes and the codes that is giving me in the d4 light are 4 adn 14 so i check my repair manual and says that code 4 was the speed sensor so i replace that and the same problem so i check all connections and wiring and everything is good, even i check if it was 5v signal and it was, so i replace the speedo but i still having the same problem so i think is that other code but my repair manual doesn't have info about code 14 {off: FAS wire, PGM-FI. So if anybody could tell me what that code means I'll apreciate it alot. Please help me this problem is driving me crazy.

God Bless You All Thanks

Old 11-16-2008, 06:53 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan
Default RE: problems with speedo

What manual are you using?
First, Did you short the service check connector and read D4 light flashes (4 shorts for code 4 and 1 long + 4 shorts for 14), and not Check Engine Light flashes? I want to be sure you have correct codes as there are 4 and 14 codes for the ECU as well as the TCU. Following assumes you read the TCU codes 4 and 14.

Code 4 should be the speed sensor, however you should also have a Check Engine Light and code 17 on the ECU.

Code 14 is FAS (what is FAS?) wire fault. There is a long diagnostic in shop manual to trace this problem.

You need a factory manual w/ wiring diagrams to trace this problem.

Suggest looking carefully for harness wiring damage, as both of these faults could be result of common wiring damage at some point in harness.

good luck

Old 11-16-2008, 10:21 AM
flexaccordwagon92
Unregistered

The manual I'm using is The haynes and in the wiring diagram shows a brown and white wire that says FAS and go to the cruise control actuator to the cruise controlcontrol unitto the ecu and final to the tcu so my cruise control is not working neither also the check engine light is not giving no codes also the srs light is on and the horn don't work so i don't know what else to check or do. I'm going crazy

Old 11-16-2008, 10:40 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I'm looking at a 90 Accord shop manual which should be same for your model. You can download a 90-93 Honda manual from Online Manuals, DIY forum. This should have all the info you'll need.

Code 14 apparently must be communicated to the TCU by the ECU, since the speed sensor does not directly connect to the TCU. This comms link is apparently thebrn/wht wire. This suggests 1) The brn/wht wire is damaged (check for continuity between ECU and TCU), or 2) the ECU may be faulty sending incorrect signals.

Are you getting a normal CEL on for 2 secs, then OFF when you turn keyswitch to ON?

First try resetting the ECU by pulling the BackUp fuse for 20 secs and see if problem returns.

good luck

Old 11-16-2008, 01:46 PM
flexaccordwagon92
Unregistered

no theCEL does not turn on at all. It been like that seen i have this wagon all I know is that the last owner mess around with the wiring because is alot of wires spliced in the engine bay i've been thiking to get another wiring and change it I know is alot of work but I need to fix it asap. Thanks for the url for the online manual i'll download the one for the model i have and see what i can do