General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question About AC

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Question About AC

I am trying to get the AC working in my 2000 Accord. I have a bypass pulley in place of my compressor.

Once I install the new compressor, do I need to just add freon? Or will I need to take it to a shop for them to do something? Thanks

Old 08-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

if the system has been open to the atmosphere, you are HIGHLY recommended to change out the receiver/drier and have the system flushed from the condensor to the evaporator, and a new expansion valve wouldn't hurt either. And yes a professional should pull vacuum on the system, make sure it holds, check pressures when it's filled and running and add dye to check for future leaks...why was the original compressor removed?

Old 08-21-2012, 05:50 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The original compressor seized up broke my serpentine belt. I didn't have the money to buy a new compressor so I just bought the bypass pulley which was like 20 bucks.

Old 08-21-2012, 06:22 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

A siezed compressor can leave debris in the condensor and evaporator that may return to damage a new compressor. Suggest taking the time/expense to replace these components. Cleaning is not possible due to parallel flow paths preventing effective flushing.

Following are key steps to recharge:

1) Install lubricating oil in new compressor and new receiver/drier
2) Pull full vacuum and check that vacuum holds for at least 15 mins. If not leak must be found and repaired.
3) Once vacuum holds, continously vacuum for at least 1/2 hr to remove moisture from system.
4) Charge w/ correct weight of refrigerant, usually about 24 ozs or approx. 2 cans of R134a. Avoid use of sealants or cooling enhancers.

good luck