General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Radiator fan runs loudly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Default Radiator fan runs loudly?

On my 2007 Honda Accord Coupe LX V6, the radiator fan seems to run fairly loudly, andI amnot sure if this is normal behavior. At stops or when moving at slow speed, everything is very quiet, but suddenly what seems to be the radiator fan kicks in. It's like the sound when you turn on the AC and suddenly the engine revs goes up slightly and you hear the sound of something whirling in the engine bay. It goes on for about a minute and stops, and then does it again maybe a couple minutes later.

I don't have a custom grill and I checked to make sure nothing is blocking the airflow in the front. When it occurs, I look at the engine temperature, and it's always below half of the meter.

Is this normal for the radiator fan to kick in fairly noisily? My car has less than 5000 miles on it.

Thanks!

Old 11-28-2007, 11:52 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Radiator fan runs loudly?

Do you have the ventilation set to defrost? It runs the AC, so this would be AC compressor noise along with the fan.

Onour '98, when you switch to defrost, thegreen AC lamp would light up, & you could switch it off. On our '03 (probably same as your '07), the defroster triggers the AC, but the lampdoesn't come on and you can't turn it off.

Is the fan loud enough like it's rubbing on the plastic shroud around the blades? Anything like that would be a warranty job.

Old 11-29-2007, 10:13 AM

Pop the hood and see if the sound is there at all times when the fan is running.
It seems to early for this, but an extremely noisy fan could also mean a fan motor going bad. But check to make sure it's not rubbing or anything as jimblake said. Turn the car off and try to spin the fan by hand. Does it move easily? Try to wiggle the fanside-to-side and from front-to-back (pull away from engine and try to push towards engine). Any play could suggest a faulty fan motor.
I would investigate if this is a warranty covered part before replacing anything if you find anything is wrong with the fan though.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

take it to dealer and ask the service manager to compare your car with another car, same yr and model that they have in stock,,
if you car is noisier , have them take care of it ..

Old 12-01-2007, 09:50 AM

your car have a slow fan speed and a high fan speed. i just worked on an 03 with a woman complaining that the fan is loud. turns out she only had high speed operation on the radiator fan(driver side fan) and no operation from the condensor fan(pass side fan).
before i go too deep, if you turn the key on engine off with the ac on say...68 with the blower motor speed on low - open the hood. are both fans running ata low(quiet) speed?