General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Radio works few minutes then asks for code

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 09:13 PM
Default Radio works few minutes then asks for code

Been having various radio troubles for last year or so. 2004 Honda Accord EX 4 cyl. was in an accident a year ago which damaged driver rear area. I believe rear speaker on this side either damaged in accident or blown by repair guys.

For a while speaker would crackle and hiss randomly then radio/cd player would shut off for several minutes not to be turned back on as if a breaker had tripped. Anyway I simply disconnected that speaker and viola several months of 3 speaker music and entertainment again!

Until tonight.......

Headlight blown on drivers side so I had to disconnect battery and remove it to change lamp as battery is in the way. Reconnect battery and enter CODE to unlock radio as I have done this before. Start car normal radio plays normally for a few minutes then locks out again and asks for CODE again. Well heck I entered the code over and over again, same thing. Radio plays for a bit then locks out again on its own. Re enter code and radio plays for a few minutes then all over again locks out. Then I notice when I shut off engine and remove key, then insert key and restart car? Yup you guessed it, radio locked out. Ugggh! Code is memorized, HA!

Any one ever seen this? Have any ideas? Is it remotely possible this is related to bad and disconnected rear speaker? I carefully cleaned the battery posts and reconnected, battery not the problem.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:30 PM

I'm wondering if there is possibly an electrical short somewhere in the system. You mentioned that you had disconnected one of the rear speakers... are the speaker wires now properly insulated?

Old 12-04-2015, 06:10 AM

Hello thank you for the reply. The speaker wires connect via a harness clip. The clip appears undamaged. They are not connected via individual wires, I can cut the clip off. I would need to cut the clip off anyway if I replaced the speaker with aftermarket.

Old 12-04-2015, 09:04 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Request for security code suggests radio is losing power.

First be sure you don't have a faulty battery wire/connector. This could cause the problem also and is most likely.

This could also be a wiring fault or possible circuit board fault. Either way, suggest replacing radio w/ a used unit or getting your's repaired after confirming no wiring problem.

good luck

Old 12-04-2015, 07:54 PM
Newest Of Newbies

It may be a ground issue.