General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Ran into issue using INNOVA timing light on 91 accord

Old 05-21-2012, 10:51 PM
Question Ran into issue using INNOVA timing light on 91 accord

-- 2.2L 91 accord manual with about 180,000 miles --

After doing the valve lash with feeler gauge of 0.25mm for intake and 0.30mm for exhaust (I ended up tightening 14 of the 16 valve clearances) I decided to check the timing because I heard that modifying the valve lash effects the timing. So I do the timing light procedure per Chilton's repair manual and the inductive timing light's operation instructions and it turns out that the engine was no more than 20 degrees outside the 15 degree timing tolerance. So it was outta timing by a reasonable amount. Of course I turn the distributor to correct it and walla everything looks fine now. Now here is where it gets interesting, as I was putting the timing light away for storage I noticed that the inductive pickup clip had a small arrow with the word 'plug' stenciled in it. I thought to myself, what the hell. I mean there was no mention of it in the operating instructions. So I call the technical assistance number on the timing light manual and the guy over the phone tells me that the arrow means it should face the spark plug. At this point I was frustrated cause I happen not to have had the inductive clip pointing that way when I had done the timing. So I go back and turn the engine on, let it settle at very near 700 rpm and then I check the timing but this time with the inductive clip pointed "the right way". The flickering light showed that I was way off this time, more than 90 degrees from the red mark on the flywheel! But my engine runs smooth as far as I'm concerned; no unusual noises.
Since when did the direction that the inductive pickup clip is placed on the spark plug wire make such a difference in timing readings? It didn't help any that the instructions failed to mention such. I don't know if I can trust this timing light. Would you? Sounds to me like the manufacturer (INNOVA) dropped the ball.

Old 05-21-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by SevenFour
-- 2.2L 91 accord manual with about 180,000 miles --

After doing the valve lash with feeler gauge of 0.25mm for intake and 0.30mm for exhaust (I ended up tightening 14 of the 16 valve clearances) I decided to check the timing because I heard that modifying the valve lash effects the timing. So I do the timing light procedure per Chilton's repair manual and the inductive timing light's operation instructions and it turns out that the engine was no more than 20 degrees outside the 15 degree timing tolerance. So it was outta timing by a reasonable amount. Of course I turn the distributor to correct it and walla everything looks fine now. Now here is where it gets interesting, as I was putting the timing light away for storage I noticed that the inductive pickup clip had a small arrow with the word 'plug' stenciled in it. I thought to myself, what the hell. I mean there was no mention of it in the operating instructions. So I call the technical assistance number on the timing light manual and the guy over the phone tells me that the arrow means it should face the spark plug. At this point I was frustrated cause I happen not to have had the inductive clip pointing that way when I had done the timing. So I go back and turn the engine on, let it settle at very near 700 rpm and then I check the timing but this time with the inductive clip pointed "the right way". The flickering light showed that I was way off this time,more than 90 degrees from the red mark on the flywheel! But my engine runs smooth as far as I'm concerned; no unusual noises.
Since when did the direction that the inductive pickup clip is placed on the spark plug wire make such a difference in timing readings? It didn't help any that the instructions failed to mention such. I don't know if I can trust this timing light. Would you? Sounds to me like the manufacturer (INNOVA) dropped the ball.
I agree, if it were truly off 90* I would think the car would run(or lack thereof) like crap.. see if you can borrow one, and retest.

Old 05-22-2012, 07:22 AM
Super Moderator

Were you on the spark plug wire that goes to #1 cylinder? Cylinder 1 is on the driver's side of the engine.

Did you short the service connector when adjusting the timing? It is the same procedure as checking your engine codes. This stops the ECU from electronically adjusting the timing.

Old 05-22-2012, 09:05 AM

Yes, I did all that, #1 cylinder spark plug and shorting the service connector with a paperclip (makes engine light come on).
Has anyone ever taken notice that the direction of the induction clip is critical in doing a timing check? Or is this only critical with this specific brand of timing equipment?

Old 05-22-2012, 11:31 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by SevenFour
Yes, I did all that, #1 cylinder spark plug and shorting the service connector with a paperclip (makes engine light come on).
Has anyone ever taken notice that the direction of the induction clip is critical in doing a timing check? Or is this only critical with this specific brand of timing equipment?

I have used a few different timing lights and never seen that feature before.

Sounds like a PITA if it gives different readings depending on which way it is facing.

Old 05-22-2012, 11:48 AM

The timing light I used is the Equus Innova timing light that O'Reilly carries (part# 3551).
Actually, after more carefull review the timing differences between which direction the induction clip is put on the #1 spark plug cable causes a difference in timing of about 65 degrees on the flywheel.