General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Regarding My Oil Change

Old 11-10-2010, 12:38 PM
Default Regarding My Oil Change

I went to a 10 minute oil change shop but I wasn't paying attention if they put the new oil in that I brought with me. It was Castrol GTX 5w20 for my 2005 Honda Accord LX SE. All this time I was putting in 5 quarts but they said it may damage the engine so put only 4 quarts in there?

I called them back from home and they said that they did put new oil in there. If they did not put the new oil, then I would have had the check engine and/or oil light on?

Old 11-10-2010, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by Accord Owner
I went to a 10 minute oil change shop but I wasn't paying attention if they put the new oil in that I brought with me. It was Castrol GTX 5w20 for my 2005 Honda Accord LX SE. All this time I was putting in 5 quarts but they said it may damage the engine so put only 4 quarts in there?

I called them back from home and they said that they did put new oil in there. If they did not put the new oil, then I would have had the check engine and/or oil light on?
yea 5 quarts is a little too much, when I use my castrol 5w-20 there's ussually about a quart left in there... You didn't get your extra oil back from them? That's the only way you'd know if they put your oil in. Oh, and if they didn't put new oil, your check engine light/oil light would most likely not go on. Mine was not on and I had my oil in there for 10k miles! You could always check your oil to see how dark it is, and if it's all black then it's old oil.

Old 11-10-2010, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

If they didn't put ANY oil in there, your oil-can idiot light would come on. Not real easy to tell if they put cheap oil in there & took your oil home for their own car. I doubt that happens real often, but just saying...

I usually rotate tires while it's draining, so jacking the car up & down usually gets more oil to drain out, sometimes I put in close to 5 quarts. ALWAYS fill it based on the dipstick, not based on how many quarts.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Samzebian
yea 5 quarts is a little too much, when I use my castrol 5w-20 there's ussually about a quart left in there... You didn't get your extra oil back from them? That's the only way you'd know if they put your oil in. Oh, and if they didn't put new oil, your check engine light/oil light would most likely not go on. Mine was not on and I had my oil in there for 10k miles! You could always check your oil to see how dark it is, and if it's all black then it's old oil.
So 5 quarts can cause a damage? All this team I was putting 5 quarts.

Do you like the Castrol GTX 5w20? What kind of car do you have?

The extra bottle of Castrol was left in my trunk. They said I only need 4 quarts. 4.25 at the most.

I use the FRAM filter.

I hope they put the filter on too, if they did not then I would have an oil leak right?

You mean if they did not put the oil in there, my check engine and oil light would go on right?

Are you using Synthetic?

Old 11-11-2010, 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
If they didn't put ANY oil in there, your oil-can idiot light would come on. Not real easy to tell if they put cheap oil in there & took your oil home for their own car. I doubt that happens real often, but just saying...

I usually rotate tires while it's draining, so jacking the car up & down usually gets more oil to drain out, sometimes I put in close to 5 quarts. ALWAYS fill it based on the dipstick, not based on how many quarts.
Oil can light never came on. I go to Discount Tires every 6K miles to do rotation and balance. Is that good?

Old 11-11-2010, 02:16 AM

Yes, it's good oil. I've used it for 10k miles without it causing problems! lol. Using it in an '03 ex

If there was extra castrol in your trunk, then they must have used your oil

fram filter? idk I kept my filter on from last time I changed it... OH **** I FORGOT TO DRAIN IT!

well now there's just a bit of old oil in my current oil change, good thing you reminded me.... I don't think it'll matter much anyways

right, no oil = check engine light. If they never drained the original oil, the light would not come on.

I am using the synthetic castrol 5w-20 (expensive stuff! I might try the Mobil1 next time around)

oh and using all 5 quarts probably won't damage it, all I know is in the manual it says you need like 4 and a quarter or something like that. And when I put in about that much, my dipstick said full.

Originally Posted by Accord Owner
So 5 quarts can cause a damage? All this team I was putting 5 quarts.

Do you like the Castrol GTX 5w20? What kind of car do you have?

The extra bottle of Castrol was left in my trunk. They said I only need 4 quarts. 4.25 at the most.

I use the FRAM filter.

I hope they put the filter on too, if they did not then I would have an oil leak right?

You mean if they did not put the oil in there, my check engine and oil light would go on right?

Are you using Synthetic?

Last edited by Samzebian; 11-11-2010 at 02:20 AM.
Old 11-11-2010, 07:45 AM
Super Moderator

Nothing wrong with going to one place for oilchange & a different place for tire rotation. All I was saying, is that 4 quarts vs. 5 quarts can be explained by how COMPLETELY the oil drains out. I'm pretty sure the total is even more than 5 quarts for a dry engine (like after assembly).

Old 11-11-2010, 09:04 PM

I reached 80K but haven't done any major maintenence. There isn't much to do anyways according to the manual.

Old 11-11-2010, 09:44 PM

Have the engine and cabin air filters been changed? Have the brakes been checked? Brake fluid flushed? These should have been done, at least once, by now.