General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Remote Car Starer

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2018, 08:25 PM
Default Remote Car Starer

Hey all,

I have a 2012 Accord EX-L Coupe.

So I am in the market for a remote car starter. I was wondering 2 things before shopping around.

1.) What brand and model would you recommend, what have you had success with? I am trying to keep it under $250 if that's possible.

2.) Can I install it myself?
a) I do my own brake pads, my own oil changes, I have installed a few car stereos back in the day but I honestly can't remember if I had to rewire by hand or just plug and play with a similar brand and wiring harness .

b) how hard is it to install one of these? could i end up ****ing up something expensive to fix?

Thanks for taking a look!!!

Phillip

Old 11-14-2018, 06:22 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Well I can't answer everything sorry for that but I will say I have a Compustar starter in my '09 and have had great luck with it. Mine was installed "after market" by an electronics store which specialized in this. I would not attempt this myself but that's just me I do nothing more than oil changes to my own vehicles and am even slowing with those as I get older. Can you spend less that 250.00 - yes but keep in mind price greatly effects performance, ease of installation and options. One thing I found and stayed away from when shopping around was one security feature in a lot of starters was to shut your car off when a door is opened causing you to get in, put key in ignition and restart your vehicle. Why have a remote starter only to restart it every time you use it?? Mine shuts the car off if you try to shift the vehicle into gear without the key in place and that's perfect. I was nervous about doing it but I had mine installed in a newer Accord at the time which was still under warranty and it's never skipped a beat. That was another reason at the time I didn't want to "cheap out" or attempt to do it myself. I paid around 400.00 if I recall maybe 8 years ago, not cheap but again there were certainly cheaper units out there to be had. Hope this helps even a little.