General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Replace Power Steering Pump

Old 06-29-2015, 12:36 PM
Default Replace Power Steering Pump

Hi All,

I have a 2006 Accord V6, and the power steering pump needs to be replaced. Does anyone have a DIY on this?
My main concern is, do I have to bleed the system when the new power steering pump is installed?
Also, I plan on purchasing the parts from one of these online Honda dealers. Is that a good idea?

Thank you all!

Old 06-29-2015, 02:28 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I moved post to appropriate forum for responses.

Bleeding is not necessary as pump circulation will circulate air out of system. Turn steering wheel to stops while idling to get air out of PS rack.

Check youtube for videos on Honda Acura V6 PS pump replacements. All are similar. This is a very straightforward operation. PS fluid drainage can cause a mess, so rags/paper to catch spillage is essential.

Removing serpentine belt can be tricky. I used two combination wrenches linked together to gain enough leverage. You may be able to get a breaker bar and socket in place as another option. Get a diagram of serpentine belt routing to insure correct replacement. Leave belt in place to extent possible.

good luck

Old 06-29-2015, 02:37 PM

Thank you! This helps!

Old 07-01-2015, 12:09 PM

Recommend you make sure it is the pump? There are two COMMON things that can cause the pump fail issue other then the pump, one is the o-ring on the pressure line the the other is the high pressure line if the car has had a hard side impact on a curb etc. regardless always check the lines for leaks. If one is detected then throughly clean the lines and recheck for the leak. Lastly be sure that there is no fluid behind the inner tie rod boots which would indicate a seal failure on the rack. This is all assuming you are not replacing the pump due to a bearing failure... Good luck.