General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Right E-brake Not Engaging

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 07:15 PM
Default Right E-brake Not Engaging

Hello,

My right rear e-brake doesn't engage (disc brakes). The left side works fine and depressing the brake pedal engages both rear brakes normally.

Here is some background:

The right rear e-brake mechanism was seized in a half-open position. I know this because when I pulled up the e-brake, the mechanism on the caliper would move maybe 1-2mm; not enough to engage the brakes. It was this way for at least one year.

Today, I disassembled that section of the caliper (spring, nut, washer, and lever) and cleaned off all the rust. I also replaced the pads while I was at it. After reassembling, the mechanism moves freely again (in tandem with the e-brake) and opens/closes to its maximum travel.

However, even with the e-brake engaged, I can still spin the wheel freely. It's like the piston isn't actuating with the e-brake mechanism.

Any ideas?

Old 07-18-2016, 11:20 AM
Super Moderator

After it was seized, maybe the auto-adjust mechanism inside the caliper isn't right??

When you put new pads in, you had to twist the piston to retract it & make room for the new pads. You can give the adjustment mechanism a head-start by not twisting the piston in all the way. Just far enough to get the pads installed & so they're not dragging. Sometimes if you retract them in fully, it takes forever to adjust itself to where it works.

I don't remember the auto-adjustment procedure, but thinking it's something like pulling the handbrake lever many times up & down. Or pull the caliper & spin the piston out a bit.

The real check will come as the pads wear down. The handbrake will either auto-adjust itself or not.

Old 07-18-2016, 06:00 PM

Thanks for the reply!

I did actually try pulling up and releasing the e-brake several times but it didn't seem to make a difference. I'll keep trying though.

Two additional observations:

1) This caliper's piston was noticeably more difficult to retract than the other side
2) Sometimes when I pull up the e-brake, I can feel more tension.

Do these help pinpoint the problem some?

Old 07-19-2016, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

#1 - The piston being more difficult to spin, makes me suspect some corrosion or other issues with the internal auto-adjust mechanism.

Your original post says it moves freely again. Did you mean the internals or just the action of the external lever?

I haven't actually taken the internal mechanism apart. When I had a similar problem, I got rebuilt calipers. For me, it was dragging brakes causing overheating & corrosion.

Old 07-19-2016, 10:24 AM

The external lever moves freely. I can't tell if the internals are corroded or not, but I can move the lever by hand without needing leverage. I didn't check, but I'm pretty sure that the piston doesn't move in tandem with the external lever.

Old 07-19-2016, 12:08 PM
Super Moderator

Once the auto-adjust mechanism takes up it's slack, the piston should move with the lever. But it's not a huge obvious motion. You might have to hold the caliper in your hand & FEEL the piston moving rather than see it moving.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:52 AM

Hmm okay.. I'll keep working it and see if it ever start working again.

Thanks!

Old 07-25-2016, 09:37 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Sounds like the auto adjust is broken, I would just replace the caliper and be done with it.