General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screeching at startup

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2016, 05:55 AM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Screeching at startup

Hi all question about my 2009 V6 right at start up on cold mornings I've been having a quick "screeching" noise right when the motor turns over. Last winter I was thinking no big deal it's probably the timing or serpentine belt. Well this summer I had both changed and on a few chilly mornings this fall I'm still hearing it. Once the car has been running (and apparently warm) it goes away, I don't even hear it if it's not a very cold night. This leads me to believe it'll start again regularly once the winter sets in again. So with two new belts any other idea what the noise is?? I don't believe it's the Serpentine belt "slipping" it feels good and snug.

Old 10-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Although it sounds like a belt slipping, the noise comes from the starter drive being overdriven by the engine speed. It is caused by lack of lube on the starter "Bendix" movement in the starter. Following example:

Cure is to remove starter and lube sliding pinion gear that is driven by the solenoid, or replace starter.

good luck

Old 10-25-2016, 05:46 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Wow that's the noise thanks for that information. If I do nothing right now what happens? Will it get worse, do what it's doing for a long time or would I probably one day just have a "hard-stop" failure and not be able to start the car? Just thinking you know if it decides to up and give out it will be 80 miles from home and not in the driveway? Like I said I've already probably been hearing it for two winters now. Just trying to gauge if it's a "must fix" tomorrow thing?

Old 10-25-2016, 09:32 AM

To my knowledge this sound does not damage the starter.

I had a 94 Accord that made the noise occasionally as long as I had it. I removed and tried to grease the slide but that did not work. It was intermittent sound but when it went off, it was a hair-raising screech.

good luck

Old 10-25-2016, 11:19 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by TexasHonda
To my knowledge this sound does not damage the starter.

I had a 94 Accord that made the noise occasionally as long as I had it. I removed and tried to grease the slide but that did not work. It was intermittent sound but when it went off, it was a hair-raising screech.

good luck

OK thanks good to know and I'll keep this in mind. Like I said it's EVERY start up when the engine's been sitting around and it's cold out. I'd guess maybe 40(ish) degrees or lower so that's every day in the winter here in the northeast. I'm not mr. mechanic and probably wouldn't try a starter change myself I'll take it day by day I guess.

Old 10-25-2016, 11:37 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Watched you tube for how to replace the Starter looks pretty straight forward. One other thing I just thought of the car does have an after market remote start does that change anything when replacing the starter?? The remote starter is a CompuStar.

Old 10-25-2016, 04:00 PM

Unlikely to affect starter replacement, but I've never seen a remote start. Not much demand for this in TX.

good luck