General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Security System Malfunction

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 03:49 PM
brownfp
Unregistered
Default Security System Malfunction

Hi all,
I feel a little bad joining your forum just to post about a car problem, but here goes:

I have a 2000 Accord EX-V6, automatic transmission, 4 door, original stereo, with 45,000 miles on it. I parked it front of my apartment the other day and as I'm walking up the steps, the alarm starts going off (the one that came with the car, no after-market alarm has been installed). Unlocking the doors with the key fob cancels the alarm, but of course the doors re-lock themselves after 30 seconds, and the alarm sets itself after another 15 seconds, at which point it immediately goes off again. What's the deal?

Things I've tried so far:
- Removing the battery from the key fob (in case the panic button was stuck or something)
- Disconnecting the car battery, and then reconnecting it after a while
- Checking for blown fuses

I'm not sure if it's relevant, but it was about 20 degrees F, which is probably the coldest weather the car has ever seen (I inherited the car from my grandmother less than a year ago; she lived in southern Florida).

Seems that as long as the key's in the ignition, the alarm doesn't set. So I can drive it; I just have to disconnect the battery whenever I park it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Old 12-28-2008, 04:54 PM
brownfp
Unregistered
Default RE: Security System Malfunction

I forgot to mention that the alarm goes off no matter how I lock the doors: fob, key, or interior door switch. However, after a little searching, I found the following thread on the S2000 Club of America forum:

http://forums.s2kca.com/showthread.php?t=16397

I'll try out the procedures listed in the thread and let you all know how it goes tomorrow. I'm thinking it's bad switch in one of the doors, hood or trunk.

Off topic - Why do my apostrophes keep doubling?

Old 12-28-2008, 05:39 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Security System Malfunction

I dont know if the car has a sensor on the hood latch, but you can check.

First thing to check is making sure the doors are all closed, and I mean slammed. Also check to make sure the trunk is closed, when I had your generation Accord the trunk would set off the alarm if it was only lightly closed.

Most of the "sensors" are simple circuits that open/close when the doors do. Double check and grounds that you can see, that might mean removing trim panels in the trunk.

And finally, the server likes to double apostrophes but not quotations for some reason.... we usually just avoid using them.