General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Serious Issue with my 97 EX Coupe

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2014, 06:35 PM
Default Serious Issue with my 97 EX Coupe

I have a 1997 Honda Accord EX Coupe, with 162,000 miles on it. Two months ago it started to have a misfire between 1700-2400 RPM (it is an automatic transmission on the F22B1 VTEC engine). It would miss (throwing codes like cylinder 4 misfire, cylinder 3 misfire, random misfire, multiple misfire, o2 sensor circuit failure (fixed that one)). If I step on the gas pedal, it would go past 2400 RPMs and the misfire would stop, I assume now because VTEC begins to take over the valvetrain at this point (VTEC-E).

At first I took it to a mechanic who diagnosed that it was the distributor, but recommended I changed out the cap, rotor, plugs, and wires first. I bought NGK Iridium IX plugs and gapped them properly, bought a BWD cap and rotor (Hitachi ignition), and bought Import Direct Ignition Wires (Oreilly Brand). I got all of this installed, and it still misfired.
Next step, I took it to five mechanics in total, 3 of the 5 told me I would need a distributor and an ECU...I bought a brand new distributor from Advance Auto Parts (i work there) for around 240, and got a new ECU from them as well for about 550. Installed, tested, still misfiring...

My regular mechanic tells me it could be the timing belt balance shaft belt tensioner could be shot...but doesn't want to replace just that whole part, considering it would be smarter to just buy a timing kit with water pump.

Two weeks ago, my regular mechanic told me it could be a burnt valve or bent valve...We have concluded that this may be the issue, considering we did the compression test, and on cylinder 4 there was little to no compression...

So in total:
Air filter, Oil Filter and Oil (Kendall Synthetic Blend) (Filter is a WIX), BWD Cap and Rotor, Plug Wires and Plugs, Distributor, Ignition Coil (replaced that as well), ECU...its gotten expensive but I can only afford to fix up this car, I am in major debt from an accident few months ago.

I would post videos but alas I have none right now, and can't upload to YouTube, will post when I can...anyone have anything happen like this before?...

PS... Used SeaFoam on the fuel system, and on the vacuum system to clean out the carbon deposits...Tested the EGR valve, its working. Plugs aren't fouling. Oil has been changed every 3 months...It mostly has city driving on it. It still gets 32 MPG. The check engine light burnt out from being on for so long...codes still there even after clearing...I have two years until I need to retest for emissions...

Thanks for taking the time to read this! This is my first Honda. I've had 7 other vehicles before. I am 23 years old too, if that matters.

Old 05-16-2014, 07:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Were the EGR ports cleaned out?

94-97 EGR Ports Cleaned