General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Smog, barely passed...questions...

Old 04-26-2014, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

Wonder if someone has removed the plugs before and replaced them with a different type (small freeze plug)?

There are a few write ups on doing this - one of many attached.

The slide hammer can be found at many places - might look in the "body tools" section for one.

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
T2T013.pdf (591.1 KB, 83 views)
Old 05-05-2014, 06:01 PM

question, i cleaned my egr, was i supposed to bathe it in carb cleaner? what about the plunger part? also, someone said spray the hole it was covering and stick somthing down it as well.......was i supposed to do that part? I haven't done the plugs yet, i wanted to try this first, just to see how hard it would be...thanks! Car does run better.

Old 05-06-2014, 10:24 PM
Super Moderator

Cheap thing to try, remove the egr valve - pour 1/2 can of seafoam into both ports of the intake.

Use carb or brake cleaner on the valve. Apply vac to the valve to "open it" and be sure to get the cleaner into the port that opens. It is like a needle and seat type of thing so you want to be sure that the both the needle and seat get cleaned.

Oh, and when you start the car - there will be a cloud of smoke from the seafoam. Again the seafoam in the egr ports is a "half vassed" way of getting there.

Old 05-06-2014, 11:56 PM

Originally Posted by poorman212
Cheap thing to try, remove the egr valve - pour 1/2 can of seafoam into both ports of the intake.

Use carb or brake cleaner on the valve. Apply vac to the valve to "open it" and be sure to get the cleaner into the port that opens. It is like a needle and seat type of thing so you want to be sure that the both the needle and seat get cleaned.

Oh, and when you start the car - there will be a cloud of smoke from the seafoam. Again the seafoam in the egr ports is a "half vassed" way of getting there.
Actually, if you could get the cleaner in the ports and have it sit on the build-up for a couple days it might do a decent job of loosening the gunk. Not sure if this is possible, though.

I remember when I had my ports cleaned, the mechanic used pipe cleaners and tons of carb cleaner and he said they cleaned out a ton of carbon 4-5'' down into the ports. They make the ports really narrow and I'm not sure why, having a wide EGR port may affect engine performance?

Old 05-07-2014, 02:09 AM

maybe i'll do that when i go to vegas in a few weeks.........take the egr off, take out the plugs and put seafoam in all holes, let it sit while i'm in vegas....hmmmmmm

Old 05-07-2014, 02:27 AM

Wonder if someone has removed the plugs before and replaced them with a different type (small freeze plug)?

There are a few write ups on doing this - one of many attached.

The slide hammer can be found at many places - might look in the "body tools" section for one.
No, those are actually the plugs that Honda sells now. They are concaved and completely unlike the ones you pull out which I've always found to be weird because if and when someone would need to pull those ones I think it's going to be much harder to do than the original ones that were on the car but I won't know until I do it.

OP, it looks like someone has already pulled the plugs before so you shouldn't need to do it depending on when they were done.

Old 05-07-2014, 02:35 AM

I gotta be honest I would advise against pouring more than a couple ounces inside the intake. Too much could hydrolock the engine. It's different when the engine is running because it will pull in fairly evenly but when the engine is off it's much easier to hydrolock.

Old 05-07-2014, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

By no means am I saying this would clean the ports properly. The only way to properly do it is to (on this gen) pull the plugs and clean it with a small piece of wire, screwdriver, pick, ect.

Old 05-09-2014, 02:52 PM

ok, so 86 that idea, i'll just get a slide hammer and new plugs..... let you know how it goes..

Old 05-10-2014, 05:19 AM

as i said before it appears the ports have been cleaned before ... if the cat has never been replaced yet i would think the cat is at the end of its useful life