General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedometer

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2006, 02:43 AM
jakew129
Unregistered
Default Speedometer

Ok so im haveing an issue with my speedometer...sometimes it wants to work, but it isnt working most of the time...the needle likes to stick at about 20mph and will sometimes flicker there, especially when stopped at a light and then begin to accelerate...1995 Honda Accord LX 2.2L

What things can i test/replace/or do to try and remedy this situation?

how much is a VSS, where can i find one, and will this fix my problem

my car is on jackstands right now so if i have to replace somethin i would like to try and do it now rather than get it diagnosed, but if i should do that first please say so

thank u in advance for anyone who helps out

Old 12-06-2006, 05:38 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Speedometer

I had the same problem with my speedometer. It would stick at 20 then start oscillating and then work fine suddenly.

When your speedometer is stuck at 20 mph, does your cruise control or tac work?

When my speedometer stopped working only the speedometer and tripometer stopped working. If you have the same symptoms, then your problem is the speedometer, if the cruise control and tac do not work, then it is your VSS.

I think that a failing VSS will trip a check engine light and/or a code will be stored. My broken speedometer didn't set an error code.

Since I knew my speedometer was broken, I called a local Honda dealer first. The wanted to replace the whole cluster for about $800. When I told the service tech that a speedometer was available for purchase (around $100 or $150) separately, he got nervous and transfered me to the parts department. I know some honda service people are members on this site, but do you homework befoere you talk to a dealership. Not everyone is honest. It will save you $$ in the end.

Also Honda will NOT ROLL your speedometer to your current mileage. They will put a sticker on there with the old mileage and you start at zero. There are places that will roll a bew speedometer for ~100, but you need notarized affidavit stating your current mileage.

What I did was searched google for a speedometer repair called the place and askeed if they knew how to fix the problem. They assured me that they could repair the problem.

I removed the cluster as a unit, removed the speedometer, and sent the speedometer to them. Cluster removal is pretty simple. Buy a Haynes manual if you are uncertain how to remove it.

They repaired it for about $120, and I got the speedometer back in about a week. Its been about a year and a half, and I have not had any problems since then.

TO THE ADMINISTRATOR: Am I allowed to post the name of the company that did the work for me?

Jake, you can PM me and I will give you the company name.

Old 12-06-2006, 01:49 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I had a similar issue on my 94 accord. I replaced the speedo, cant recall the price, but it wasnt cheap. If you know, what was wrong with the speedo? I am wondering about that

Old 12-06-2006, 06:33 PM
jakew129
Unregistered

yea everything else works like a charm, only the speedo sticks and randomly works...if you could just PM me the name i would like to know, otherwise i might just deal with it...i dont drive it unless its raining or snowing anyway...ride my bike alot...thanks for the feedback

Old 12-06-2006, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

I have no idea what went bad on the speedometer. There was a lot of circuitry that I didn't want to mess around with, so I just shipped it off to someone that new how to fix it.

I could have been something as simple as cracked solder (like the MFR prolbems Hondas notoriously get), but I have no clue.

Old 03-13-2011, 07:59 PM

I had a speedo stuck at 25mph and no odometer. Every once in awhile it would work. So I pulled it and resolder the board. 1st try, no speed but the odometer worked. Went over board again. Speedo went to 85 and lost the odometer. 3rd try speedo works perfectly, no odometer. I'm not trying another time. I am going to try for a junk yard part. The problem is, you don't know what connections do what so its a crap shoot on what connection you play with. Watch, the part from the yard will probably be messed up to.