General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaking or squealing noise from backside of engine

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2010, 02:10 PM
Default Squeaking or squealing noise from backside of engine

I have a 91 accord ex, for about the last two weeks i've had a sqeaking or squealing noise coming from the engine. It is not coming from any of the accessory belts. It sounds more like its coming from either under the valve cover or from the fuel injection rail. The noise is not there when you first start the car, it usually starts about 1 or 2 minutes after the car is started. The noise does not speed up much when you press on the accelerator. The car runs normal no overheating or other problems with the car. I was thinking about taking off the valve cover and looking under but I wanted to see if anybody else has had this problem. Somebody else told me it might be the water pump. Any help is appreciated.

Old 04-03-2010, 05:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

could be the water pump,, but my friend it is real hard for us to help you over the net on diagnosing noises ..
taking off the valve cover would not get you any closer to the squealing,, all there is under there is rocker arm assembly and the cam.and neither makes a squealing type of noise ......it could be a component being run by on outer belt..you should remove p/s belt and see if noise still there.. if yes......remove alt/a/c belt if noise still there you need to determine where it is coming from, if beneath t-belt cover could be a water pump or t-belt tensioner ......if noise goes away , spin the alt and a/c compressor see which one is noisy..
could it be coming from the PCV valve hissing ?? fans ??

Old 04-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Smile

I had somebody tell me to check the distributor cap and rotor. They told me to check under the cap for red dust, sure enough i checked under the cap and found red dust. I'm not sure what causes this but I noticed the metal end of the rotor that makes contact with the metal points on the distributor cap was corroded. They told me sometimes the noise from the distributor will travel down the cam shaft. I changed the rotor and have not had the problem since. Hope this is helpful for anybody else out there.

Old 04-04-2010, 04:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ahhhhhhhh I forgot about the distr bearing,, they get dry and noisy there was a bulletin on that.. If it is the upper bearing it needs to be greased, replacing rotor alone will not fix the issue , noise might come back