General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with squealing engine noise

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2010, 11:29 PM
Default Help with squealing engine noise

I am new to this forum. I recently purchased a used 2001 Accord LX 2.3 L engine. I noticed a slight squealing noise when I test drove it, but assumed it was an accessory belt. I've had it for about a month now and I can't track down the noise. It seems to be coming from the end of the engine with the timing belt. The car has 55k miles on it so I had the timing belt and water pump replaced and this didn't get rid of the noise. I've taken off the accessory belts and run the engine and noise is still there. It isn't present when the engine is cold, but begins once the engine warms. It seems to get worse the longer I drive the car. It is only present at idle and goes away when I accelarate. Also, once the car warms up it begins to idle rougher and get's worse when a load is placed on the engine (turning on AC). I've read that it could be the distributor, but I've taken the cap off and don't see any red dust as others say will be present if the bearing is going. One last detail that might be of use, the car was not driven for 2 years before I bought it.

Does anybody have idea as to what could be wrong?

Thanks in advance,

Bill
Honda Accord 2001 LX 2.3 L

Old 11-07-2010, 08:37 AM
Super Moderator

Maybe tensioner pulley bearings for the timing belt?

Old 11-07-2010, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Could it possibly be the cooling fans? They could make a noise w/ a dragging or loose blade scraping the housing. Perhaps it's not loud enough to be heard when engine is above idle.

Another possibility is a loose harmonic balancer pulley. Occasionally, the rubber sandwich between outer pulley and inner drive structure can become loose. It might make a noise at idle that would disappear or be undetectable at higher speeds. This can contribute to under-charging of battery when lights are on and eventually disabling of engine (not enough electrical power to drive ignition). For some reason, this fools the alternator charge sensing light and alternator light does not come on. You can detect this by placing a radial marker across outer pulley, rubber sandwich, and inner structure. If these marks separate, you know you've got a problem.

I had a failed harmonic balancer on my Acura 2.5 TL and it led to a very damaging series of events when my son tried to get shop service out of town. Basically the shop failed to properly install crankshaft bolt that retains harmonic balancer, bolt worked loose, woodruff key connecting the harmonic balancer to crankshaft dropped out, valve/crankshaft timing lost, and valve hit pistons. I eventually had to tow the car back to my home to get repaired.

good luck

Old 11-08-2010, 10:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't think it is the cooling fans, the noise is there even when the fans are not running.

Can you explain what you mean by the radial marks separating? Do you mean marks separating as in going from all lined up at 12:00 to one at 6:00 and the others 5:00 or something off 6:00? Or do you mean looking at the engine from above or below seeing anything other than a straight line as it spins? It does appear to have a wobble to it...not horrible but not spinning true.

Jim, I was also wondering if it might be the tensioner bearings. I am kicking myself for forgetting to ask the mechanic to change them with the timing belt.

Thanks in advance,

Bill

Old 11-09-2010, 05:44 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Marks, initially one radial mark, will separate to different clock positions as rubber bushing slips, as you described.

good luck