General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2005, 02:55 PM
ideastoo
Unregistered
Default starting problems

Searching for potential "causes" of a problem with my 98 Honda Accord LX with automatic transmission: Car was running as normal with no indication of any problems. I went into the store and returned, turned the key and the car did not start. It acted as if there was no power, however in the ON position, all systems work--dash lights, stereo, AC. (not the battery). There was no clicking sound to indicate a cause.

I took the car out of park, shifted through the various gear/positions and returned it to the park position. I repeated this procedure (because I didn't know what else to do) and then the car started. Relieved, I thought it was a random occurance.

Yesterday, the problem occured again. The dealer/service departments are telling me that they cannot determine the cause unless it occurs while in the shop, or it is broken completely. I don't want to wait that long.

Any ideas of what causes this to happen?

Diana

Old 05-13-2005, 05:19 PM
Default RE: starting problems

what happened when you tried to start your car (did the engine spin) ?

Putting the car in Drive and trying to start it would act like theres no power. Is that how it was?

It is really hard to tell in these situations [&:] First thing that comes to mind is that Shifter wouldn't engage to Park position fully.

so next time this happens put the car in the neutral position and then try to start it ( now do this right away do not shift back and forth....)

basically in these steps:

1. trying to start - no power
2. press brake ,shift to neutral
3. trying to start - did it?

also what is the mileage on the car?

Old 05-17-2005, 10:49 PM

Also check the terminals on the battery to make sure, there is not too much corrosion on it that causes bad connection....seen that many times in the shop I work at.

Old 08-09-2005, 10:14 PM

Hi I am a newbie to the fiorum. Great site!
I had the same problem. 1995 Honda Accord EX 4dr/V6. 127,000 miles.
I spent the day doing errands in 100F heat and had the AC full blast. Came home and then a half hour later went out to go to work and nothing. The panel lit up but that was it. After work I tried it and it started no problem. The next morning it started no problem so I drove it to the mechanic and he could find nothing at all. I am afraid it will happen again and I may get stranded. The battery was fine only 1 yr old. I will chech the terminals for coresion on the battery as suggesed here.

Old 08-14-2005, 08:30 AM

Had the terminals checked and nothing.
Just hope it does not happen again.