General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

strange electrical problem -2005 honda accord

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ndubg
no it was those fuses under the hood not getting any power , but the fuses themselves were good. and yes i checked the no.15 (40a) fuse as well as the others and theyre all good
If under-hood fuse numbers 1,3,5,6, and 7 are not getting any power, then does your headlights (high and low beams) and taillights work?

And under the dash ive got no power to fuses 24,25,26. But 27 and 28 do. 28 is for the sign roof but it won't work
Under-dash fuses 24, 25, and 26 protect the passenger window switch and rear window switches; they only receive power if the driver's door multiplex control unit was properly working.

Even if under-dash fuse no. 28 is good, the moonroof/sunroof also relies on a working under-dash fuse no. 21 (7.5A). Under-dash fuse no. 21 needs to be check again.

Could it possibly have something to do with my after market alarm?
Most likely no.

Old 02-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Pahonda: yes that absolutely makes sense and that's exactly what i did. I wedged the black lead of my multi meter to negative battery terminal and proceeded to check every fuse. The larger fuses i pulled checked the terminals for power where they where then checked those fuses with a test light as well as with the multi meter for resistance across terminals out the fuse. Everything has checked out. Im having a hard time figuring why I'm not getting power to certian fuses when everything I've checked has been good

Old 02-21-2014, 11:39 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Redbull-1: headlights, high beams and low beams do work. But not much else. My instrument panel does light up briefly when i open door and put key in ignition,but turns off within seconds. But when it did illuminate none of my gauges move, example: gas gauge, temp gauge. They're all dead.blinkers don't wirk unless i push hazard button.

I'll recheck under dash fuse no. 21 and the rest of them and report back. Thanks guys/ gals for your time and insight . I sure need the help

Old 02-21-2014, 11:41 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Oh and yes tail lights work

Old 02-22-2014, 12:05 AM
Super Moderator

In the under hood fuse box, fuse 1 and 6 will only get power when the low beams are on. Fuse 3 and 5 get power only when the high beams are on. Please verify this is what happens.

Under dash fuse box 24, 25, and 26 are powered by the power window relay. You may want to swap that relay with an identical one nearby, then retest the power windows and fuse 24-26.

Retest for power on both sides of fuses #7 and #21 under the dash.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:22 AM
Newest Of Newbies

PAhonda: ok im on it.

Old 02-22-2014, 12:25 AM
Super Moderator

The power window relay is probably good, like I previously mentioned your initial problem sounded like the driver's multiplex control unit; which is a relatively common problem on your generation Accords.

This is from post #11 of the other thread I linked to early in this thread:
https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...g-52178/page2/

"For the front passenger window and rear windows to work, they need to receive voltage coming via the power window relay (a relay is basically a type of switch). The power window relay is a normally-open type relay. If the door multiplex control unit sends a ground signal via the Wht/Grn wire to the power window relay, the relay will close, which allow voltage to fuses, 24, 25, and 26.

The left rear window switch receives voltage through fuse 24, the right rear window switch receives voltage through fuse 25, and the right front window switch receives voltage through fuse 26. By attaching a wire to cavity 3 (where the Wht/Grn wire is) and grounding it, the power window relay closes, which then allow voltage to the front passenger switch and rear window switches.

The driver’s door window switch does not receive voltage through that power window relay."

Old 02-22-2014, 03:00 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Redbull-1: ok but how would that cause the instrument panel and other accessories not to work, and how do i fix it?

Old 02-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Newest Of Newbies

PAhonda: you are right. Upon turning on headlights and high beams, i then had power to related fuses in the engine compartment fuse box

Old 02-22-2014, 03:34 PM
Super Moderator

Redbull-1: ok but how would that cause the instrument panel and other accessories not to work, and how do i fix it?
What most likely happened when you tried jumping the terminal wires at the door multiplex unit was that a short occurred. Fuse 21 (7.5A) and Fuse 7 (10A) also protect the multiplex integrated control unit (MICU) and the door multiplex control unit. Either or both under-dash Fuse 21 and Fuse 7 may be blown; or there is an open in the wiring related to one or both of those fuses; or you may have blown the MICU (the MICU is part of the under-dash fuse/relay box).

Fuse 21 protects the following components:
Back-up light switch (M/T), Front passenger’s power window switch
(EX, EX-L), Gauge control module, MICU, Hazard warning switch
('04-'05), Power window master switch, Relay control module,
Shift lock solenoid (A/T), Wiper/washer switch

Fuse 21 also needs to supply power to the MICU for the moonroof to work.

Fuse 7 protects the following components:
Gauge control module, Immobilizer control unit-receiver, MICU,
Navigation display unit (EX-L: Navigation), Navigation unit (EX-L:
Navigation), Power window master switch (’05),
Wiper/washer switch

1. First re-check that under-dash Fuse 21 and 7 are okay.
  2. If those two fuses are okay, is there power on both sides of those fuses with the ignition ON?
  3. If there is power on both sides of those fuses with the ignition ON, either wiring; or the fusebox; or the MICU may be damaged. On your car, the MICU is replaced as part of the fuse/relay box.
  4. If there is power on only one side of those fuses with the ignition ON, then there is an open in the wiring from the under-hood fuse box leading to the under-dash fuse box.

Quick Reply: strange electrical problem -2005 honda accord