General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Strange electrical problem

Old 02-25-2011, 12:45 PM
Default Strange electrical problem

First let me start by explaining that about 2 years ago, after my car got stolen and had the clutch burned out, that while it was being repaired I had the guys put in a kill switch. For 2 years it worked perfectly, even prevented another theft. I'm not sure exactly what circuit it was on, but you could crank the engine and turn on the lights but it wouldnt catch.
Now on to the problem. I was driving along the highway at night, it was about 20 degrees and gradually the brake light on the dash started glowing. At first it would only get to about half intensity, and when I pulled up on the handbrake a little it would fully illuminate. Of course the first thing I thought was ok there go the brakes, but they continued to work just fine. I got home, and since it was cold and midnight I didnt check it out till the next morning. When I opened the hood everything was normal except the positive connector was completely off the battery terminal. I tightened it up and turned the car on, and everything seemed fine, the light was off and everything was normal, which was good cause I had to drive to Philadelphia that day, a 7 hour trip.
So im going along and after about 50 miles the brake light starts flickering itself on again. I checked the fluid again, it was fine so I kept going. After another 50 or so miles the light was now fully illuminated all the time, except when I pushed the clutch all the way down, like to where it hits the relay button or whatever its called, and then it would turn off like I hit a switch and come back on again immediately when I let off. Then I stopped for a bathroom break, turned the lights and everything off, pulled the key out and stepped on the brake a little, and everything lit up again. Dash, headlights, everything, but it all went off when I let off the brake.
I made it to about an hour outside of Philly when suddenly the car began filling with plasticy smoke, and then all of a sudden it died. The lights and everything stayed on, but it wouldnt turn over and most of the dash lights were off, which is exactly what happens when the kill switch is turned off. I checked the switch and it just wobbled around freely. So I pulled the switch off, busted the wires out of it and just twisted them together and sure enough it fired right up. Every once in a while the rest of the way it would start to smell like burning metal, but Id turn something off, like the blowers, radio etc and it would stop. I started it a couple days later and it was fine for a few minutes but again it started to smell like something was burning.
Any suggestions?

Old 02-25-2011, 02:41 PM

sounds like it was close to catching on fire. Open up the column and under dash, you should be able to find some crispy wires melted together. Go over and clean up connections on all the wiring you can get to. Inspect wires under the hood as well, especially up near the firewall.
Good Luck
The battery terminal off the post sounds like sabotage, The car won't run like that.

Old 02-27-2011, 06:35 PM

I checked under the dash by the pedals, as well as behind the cd player and couldnt find any wires that seemed crispy. I wasnt able to get up into the steering column, but if I do find crispy is cleaning them up going to fix it? The wires wouldnt burn unless something was giving them too much current, right?

Old 02-27-2011, 07:01 PM
Super Moderator

Can you tell us what wire the kill switch was installed on?

Old 02-28-2011, 08:32 AM

Im not sure, but with the switch off the headlights, radio, and interior lights worked, but the dash lights did not. Also the engine would crank endlessly but not spark. I know whatever wire they put it on they cut about 3 inches from the ignition switch, then ran it down to next to the gas pedal. Its fat wire too, not sure what gauge but at least a step up from what its connected to.

Old 02-28-2011, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

It was probably the blk/yel wire that comes out from the ignition switch. I would pull off the cover to the steering column and inspect the wire harness from the ignition switch to the fuse box.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:29 PM

Youre right, the switch is on the black/yellow wire. I pulled the column off today, took the wiring harness completely off and inspected every inch of wire. Everything was nice and clean, not even worn looking and definitely not crispy. The ignition switch seems to be loose, but I couldnt for the life of me figure out how to get it out without breaking bits off. I also checked all the fuses, and nothing is blown. I also started it up, and the problem persists...

Old 03-02-2011, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

If it was me, would keep those plastic covers removed and try to figure out where the electrical burning smell is coming from?

I hate to suggest throwing parts at the car. You might want to consider replacing the electrical part of the ignition switch and the wire harness. Online OEM places sell the switch and harness for $30 each + shipping. Dealership would be $44 each without shipping. There are also after-market sources, so shop around.

I would download the 94 shop manual from one of the links in the Online Manuals thread in the DIY section. That will show you how to do this.

Hopefully another member will give you a better suggestion.