General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Very strange electrical problem

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2009, 10:02 PM
zz28zz
Unregistered
Default Very strange electrical problem

Just joined board and have a real stumper on my hands.

On Wed I bought a 94 Accord Ex sedan. It's completely stock. When driving at night noticed the right front door ajar indicator was glowing dim. When door is opened, ajar light comes on bright, but never goes out completely.

When I got home, sitting in driveway with key off, I noticed the front pass door area light would go from dim to very dim in a slow consistent manner. When dome light switch is in middle position, it would change intensity in sync with the pass door area light. At one point, the antenna would go from fully retracted to abt 6" up, then back down, then up 6", then back down and so on. Antenna moves in sync with the dome light and pass door lights dimming. If drivers door is opened, the antenna goes down and stays down, but pass door light continues to dim and brighten at it's usual rate. If radio is turned off, (key already off) the pass door area light would go bright for abt 1/2 sec, then go out.

After entering code into radio, it came to life. Only back speakers were working. When front pass door was opened, both front speakers came to life. When the pass door closed switch is pushed by hand, the pass door speaker would go to half volume. Drivers side front speaker volume didn't change.

If dome light switch is wiggled, static can be heard in the pass door speaker.

Removed connector from front pass door area light and measured 12.5v. If I back-probe connector while connected to lamp, I get 1.5 v.

Removed pass door closed switch and it appears to be OK. Switch will make dome light come on bright so it's getting a good ground.

Briefly inspected door wiring in hinge area. Didn't see anything wrong.

Started to remove radio and it started raining, so that's where I stopped.

Does the stock radio connect to door switches (part of security sys?)?
I downloaded a Mitchel wiring diagram, but don't see the radio on the schematic.

Thx to anyone daring enough to take a shot at this one!

Old 06-13-2009, 08:19 PM
zz28zz
Unregistered

Looks like I found the problem. Right front door courtesy light ground wire (green w/red stripe) going into the main door connector was ok but pin wasn't making contact. After a brief unsuscessful attempt to clean pin, decided to bypass connector. Ran a piece of wire thru one of the unused connector sockets and soldered each end. All the gremlims are gone.

Just goes to show how much havoc can be caused by one bad ground!!

Old 06-13-2009, 09:17 PM
Administrator
Smile Hello New Member

Glad to see you found that problem so quick..one of my friends up a few blocks from me told me this afternoon to tell you to look for shorted or bare wires 1st..I didn't get back till a few mins ago and I come back in to tell you and ..Well end of story..

Stay with us and post more about most anything...

Thanks for joining the HAF...also

WheelBrokerAng