General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suddenly Terrible MPG

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2011, 07:22 AM
Default Suddenly Terrible MPG

I have a 2000 V6 Accord. I usually get about 440 miles per full tank of gas. Around 25mpg. Recently I ran out of gas. I know it is stupid, however the low fuel light never cam on as it had in the past. Anyway, since this has happened, I am getting terrible gas mileage. Im getting like 18 mpg. Can anyone tell me what may have happened? Im sure its due to me running out of gas, but beyond that, i dont know what could be wrong. i suspect it may be a case of some type of clogging of the fuel filter and/or fuel lines, but Im not sure. Other than the mpg issue, the car seems to be running fine. I am planning on taking it in to get checked out, but I wanted to have some type of idea about what the problem was befor going in. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Old 01-27-2011, 09:20 AM
bpp
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by gunther84
I have a 2000 V6 Accord. I usually get about 440 miles per full tank of gas. Around 25mpg. Recently I ran out of gas. I know it is stupid, however the low fuel light never cam on as it had in the past. Anyway, since this has happened, I am getting terrible gas mileage. Im getting like 18 mpg. Can anyone tell me what may have happened? Im sure its due to me running out of gas, but beyond that, i dont know what could be wrong. i suspect it may be a case of some type of clogging of the fuel filter and/or fuel lines, but Im not sure. Other than the mpg issue, the car seems to be running fine. I am planning on taking it in to get checked out, but I wanted to have some type of idea about what the problem was befor going in. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.
I wanna know how you got 440 miles per tank. I got the same car but do mostly city driving and I am usually around 320. You must be doing all highway driving and running it bone dry. My initial guess would be to check your tires and then perhaps the EGR port to see if its clogged on the engine. I guess you could have damaged the fuel pump or clogged the fuel filter. But my guess would be that everything is fine and it could be a combination of many small factors (winter fuel mix, driving habits, tire pressure,etc.).

Old 01-27-2011, 11:30 AM
Supper Moderator

In the winter you will get worse MPG. Cold air is denser and the ECU has to compensate for the more air with more fuel.
Also good things to look at posted above
^^^

Old 01-29-2011, 10:01 AM

You are correct, I do alot of highway driving. I thought it may be the winter fuel mix, however I dont think it could have that dramatic of an effect. I am going to have is serviced in the next week (new timing belt), and I will have them take a look at the fuel filter and pump. Thanks for the response.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:37 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If car starts and runs OK, fuel delivery is unlikely to cause high fuel consumption.

Things that would cause loss of fuel mileage are spark plugs, O2 sensor aging, brake drag, dirty air filter, low tire pressure.

good luck