General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tapping dome light wire question help plz

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2016, 01:37 PM
Question Tapping dome light wire question help plz

I'm trying to install led door scuffs on my 2011 Accord 2.4L SE. My plan was to tap the dome light wires so they turn on when doors open and off when they are shut. I got to the pos and neg wires attached to the dome light and Using my low voltage circuit tester(the thing you stab wire with and bulb lights up), I poked the pos wire and grounded to a bolt. While door is open, dome light and circuit tester bulb light up. When the door is shut, the dome light goes off but my circuit tester bulb stays on! It won't go off with the dome light and I don't know why. What is the solution to this problem? Why won't circuit tester go off with dome light?!? I'm very NEW to this and don't know much technical terminology. Please help!!!

Also tried connecting circuit tester to Light in the door with same results. Should go off when the door is shut but it doesn't!

Old 12-10-2016, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

I don't have the 2011 wiring diagram. I suspect that the door switch provides the ground to turn on the bulb. The bulb would have 12v all the time.

You could connect the test light to a 12V source and test the ground wire at the bulb. If your the test light turns on only when the door is open, then you verified it is switched on the ground side and not the power.

Old 12-10-2016, 05:27 PM

Thank you very much for your response. I'm very new to this so I'm wracking my brain trying to make sense of your response. Is there any way you can elaborate to help me understand? I really don't want to be beat by this installation. My wife's father tried to help me (he has the knowledge, I literally have no idea what I'm talking about) and he is stumped too. I really want to learn

Old 12-10-2016, 11:22 PM
Super Moderator

Think about hooking a bulb with 2 wires connected to a battery. Red wire goes to the + battery, the black to the - battery terminal. If both are connected, the bulb turns on. If you cut the red wire (voltage side), no voltage to the bulb, so the bulb doesn't light. You can cut the black wire (ground side), then bulb also will not light.

A switch connects or disconnects a wire. I think the switch is on the ground wire of your dome light.

Old 12-12-2016, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

See the other thread you also posted to for additional info.:

https://www.hondaaccordforum.com/for...48/#post372863