General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

tdc marks on crank pully

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 02:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default tdc marks on crank pully

While doing a valve adjustment on my 01 accord 4cyl, I noticed that the tdc mark on the crank pully seems to be off. If the up mark on the cam pully is at #1 tdc, The tdc mark and timing marks on the crank pully are too far rotated counterclockwise (hope that makes sense) probably about 15 degrees. How can I be sure that the crank is properly aligned with the cam. As far as i know the computer adjusts timing on the 01.
Can I adjust the crank to line up with the cam without taking the whole car apart? Will the timing belt drive pully be aligned with the oil pump marks after adjusting? The car is drivable but does seem alittle "heavy" on the throttle and I just don't want to get stuck some where with a broken crank or belt or whatever! Comments are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by and4rik; 05-02-2010 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

put the engine on top dead center cyl # 1 .. crank pulley white mark lines up with the notch on lower t-belt cover..Once that is set, than chk the cam timing ( up letter on cam pulley is on top and notches line up with the head ), if cam is off, you need to slip the belt off and reset cam timing........
there is a write up on the DIY section on how to reset cam timing

Old 05-02-2010, 08:44 PM
Super Moderator

Be aware that the arrow on the camshaft sprocket is only approximate. The REAL timing marks are the little dimples out at the teeth of that sprocket. They need to line up along the top of the inner timing cover. The arrow never seems to be perfectly straight up.

Old 05-03-2010, 01:36 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Now I feel reallystupid. , Thanks

Old 05-03-2010, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

No worries, it's a REAL common mistake.
If you only had the little dimples, it could go 2 ways. The arrow just shows which way is right-side-up.

Old 05-04-2010, 11:59 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Now I realize that I have adjusted the valves with the dimple marks in the wrong location. But, Isn't the lobe of the camshaft the same "roundness" for a few degrees while the valves are closed? (Sorry about the terminology) My engine is much improved, I do still have some valve noise, high mileage 175k, So, My question is do I want to readjust the valves with the dimples at their proper points or should I wait until the next maintnence schedule. I just been running this through my head over and over. Can't seem to decide weather its worth it. Thanks for all the help, I will probably end up readdjusting in the end, just wondered what some others thought.

Old 05-04-2010, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

You adjust the valve clearance when each cylinder is at TDC of the compression stroke. If you're off by 1 or 2 teeth of the camshaft sprocket, that should be OK. Like you say, that whole side of the cam is pretty round & consistant.