General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

ticking in engine

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 11:41 PM
Question ticking in engine

Just bought a 94 accord last week, when i got home I noticed it had a pretty good leak.
checked all fluids and they were full, woke up next day started the car and drove about a mile from my house and it was like I had no power and wouldnt go into gear. Got it home checked the tranny fluid and it wasnt reading anything on the dipstik. I pumped 2 quarts into it checked the dip stick again and was reading full. Now I have this bad ticking problem, it sounds like its coming from the tranny does anybody know what that could be? Or what that is causd by? After filling the tranny fluid took it for a test drive and it seemed fine, its just that ticking that Im worried about. Any help would be greatly appreciated, Im new to the honda scene so Im sure you will see me a lot asking a ton of questions. Sorry such a long thread.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Two observations:

Either the fluid was low when "checked all fluids and they were full". It's not hard to make a mistake on the ATF level.

Or, the fluids were full and you still have a leak that has not been repaired. Check for Leaks!

Regarding the ticking noise. Does this noise go away when car is stopped, shifted to N while moving, accelerating only, steady speed, decelerating, or always present when engine is On and moving?

Could it be a engine valve ticking?

good luck

Old 05-03-2011, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Also when engine is running you can use a stethoscope to pin point where that sound is coming from.

WheelBrokerAng

Old 05-06-2011, 11:01 PM

The ticking noise seems to be coming from the transmission. I did a drain and fill on the tranny using the tranny fluid straight from honda. Even after doing the drain and fill the ticking noise still coming from tranny. I went under the car to check for noise and i can hear it really good coming from the bottom of the transmission. its a constant noise whether its in idle or im out driving around. any suggestions?

Old 05-06-2011, 11:10 PM
Administrator

Ive never had a ticking transmission before-so no help here..But call a Honda Dealor and ask them if they have had the same complanits called in before.

Old 05-07-2011, 07:18 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If you put car in D and hold brake, does the noise persist? If yes, and your're sure its from trans, the hydraulic pump must be making the noise. Nothing else is turning,...I suspect, but not absolutely sure.

Also torque converter is turning (tied to engine), but this is at interface between trans and engine, not the transmission where you said sound is located.

Hydraulic pump is major component and not repairable w/o pulling transmsision. That said, there's not much downside to continuing to drive.

good luck