General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing Belt

Old 07-18-2014, 06:21 PM
Default Timing Belt

2002 Honda Accord...
I recently decided to replace the head gasket and now I have everything back in place. The only problem now is that I have to slip the timing belt back on. I set the engine at TDC on the compression stroke before I started the process and now I'm just trying to put the belt back on... Is it possible to get the timing belt back on without removing the bottom timing cover. I see there is the 14mm tensioner nut above the crankshaft pulley can i just loosen that tensioner nut and slide the belt back on?? I really don't want to do the whole timing belt process... Thanks

Old 07-18-2014, 09:21 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

You can loosen the tensioner nut, pull the rear side of belt upwards to create slack, and snug the nut to hold in slack position. Not much slack and may still be difficult to remount the belt on camshaft sprocket. You may have to remove the sprocket to help w/ remounting belt.

Be sure to check alignment again after getting timing belt in position and turn by hand 2 complete engine revolutions to confirm timing remains correct.

good luck

Old 07-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Tilt the "back", shaft-side of the cam up, gear down, put the belt on, and tilt the back side down into the bearings.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Super Moderator

Hindsight is 20/20.

IMHO, anytime you remove a "good" timing belt. Before you do, use a marker/white out/nail polish/"something" and make a mark from the belt tooth to the gear.

In your case what you could do now is remove the cam gear from the cam. Put the belt on the gear - align the mark from the belt to the gear. Now re-install the cam gear to the cam.....just be careful with the "key" that locks the gear to the cam.

If you were changing the timing belt - mark the old belt and gears (cam and crank). Then transfer those marks to the new belt, just count the number of teeth between the marks. Then put the new belt on making sure the marks on the new belt line up on the gears.

If you mess with the v6's long enough - at some point in your life you will have the timing belt off and one of the cams will shift....unless you buy the special cam locking tools $$$$$. If you have marks on the belt and gears, no worries as all you have to do is line them up again