General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing Belt

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2019, 12:18 PM
Default Timing Belt

Hey all! I have a 96 accord lx 4cyl sedan. I am approaching 300,000 will be doing some major turning up at that time. I am looking to purchase a timing belt kit as part of this process. However, I see so many different kit versions for my vehicle.

I was searching this site and was unable to locate any page that had the kit requirements (or active link ) listed.

Any ideas as to where I can track down this info?

Thanks!

Old 07-01-2019, 01:38 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by rwyatt80
Hey all! I have a 96 accord lx 4cyl sedan. I am approaching 300,000 will be doing some major turning up at that time. I am looking to purchase a timing belt kit as part of this process. However, I see so many different kit versions for my vehicle.

I was searching this site and was unable to locate any page that had the kit requirements (or active link ) listed.

Any ideas as to where I can track down this info?

Thanks!
I got mine thru Rock Auto. I used the Aisin kit, which includes the water pump, tensioner, new belts, and a genuine Honda spring. It also includes the best set of instructions for changing the belts. The big thing you need to know before you order the kit, is do you have a VTEC engine or not (there's a difference of 1 tooth between them)? Just pointing it out, as my 97 was a non-VTEC engine, but both the 99 and 00 I have here are VTEC engined cars.
How do you tell on your 96 if you don't know? Do you have a separate coil from the distributor? If so, you have a non-VTEC engine. If the coil is built into the distributor, then it's a VTEC engine. That's the quick way to tell. I learned this from working on my own car, as nobody mentioned the differences to me (and I ordered a bunch of wrong parts). Part numbers are THK007 for non-VTEC for 98.79, and THK006 for VTEC for 101.79 engines. Both are in stock for your car, here's a link, they're at the bottom. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nent+kit,16088
I hope this helps.

Old 07-01-2019, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
I got mine thru Rock Auto. I used the Aisin kit, which includes the water pump, tensioner, new belts, and a genuine Honda spring. It also includes the best set of instructions for changing the belts. The big thing you need to know before you order the kit, is do you have a VTEC engine or not (there's a difference of 1 tooth between them)? Just pointing it out, as my 97 was a non-VTEC engine, but both the 99 and 00 I have here are VTEC engined cars.
How do you tell on your 96 if you don't know? Do you have a separate coil from the distributor? If so, you have a non-VTEC engine. If the coil is built into the distributor, then it's a VTEC engine. That's the quick way to tell. I learned this from working on my own car, as nobody mentioned the differences to me (and I ordered a bunch of wrong parts). Part numbers are THK007 for non-VTEC for 98.79, and THK006 for VTEC for 101.79 engines. Both are in stock for your car, here's a link, they're at the bottom. https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...nent+kit,16088
I hope this helps.
I have a non vtec. This helps tremendously!! THANK YOU!!!

Old 07-01-2019, 07:54 PM

Pretty cheap and real easy to change..lots of info out there....good luck

Old 07-02-2019, 02:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by rwyatt80
I have a non vtec. This helps tremendously!! THANK YOU!!!
While you're in there, I'd add a balance shaft seal retainer (counter balance shaft seal kit) for 4.82 (Dorman product part no, 917006), as cheap insurance. I add 1 to any Honda engine that I'm changing the belts on (unless someone beat me to it). I only say that, as my wife's Honda spit out the seal in the driveway, and dumped 2.5 quarts of oil onto the ground (at idle) in 30 feet. :O The best time to install it, is when you're doing the timing belts, as you need the timing cover off to install the retainer.
Just a tip from someone who has had it happen before, and since you're ordering up a kit, getting that added to the list is a no brainier. You'll need a valve cover gasket too, since you have to remove it to get the timing cover off. I'd probably order up a set of NGK plugs too.

Last edited by The Toecutter; 07-02-2019 at 02:47 PM.
Old 07-04-2019, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
While you're in there, I'd add a balance shaft seal retainer (counter balance shaft seal kit) for 4.82 (Dorman product part no, 917006), as cheap insurance. I add 1 to any Honda engine that I'm changing the belts on (unless someone beat me to it). I only say that, as my wife's Honda spit out the seal in the driveway, and dumped 2.5 quarts of oil onto the ground (at idle) in 30 feet. :O The best time to install it, is when you're doing the timing belts, as you need the timing cover off to install the retainer.
Just a tip from someone who has had it happen before, and since you're ordering up a kit, getting that added to the list is a no brainier. You'll need a valve cover gasket too, since you have to remove it to get the timing cover off. I'd probably order up a set of NGK plugs too.
You mentioned plugs...Would it be good to replace the spark plugs as well..or just the wires?

Old 07-04-2019, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Definitely the spark plugs. Use the NGK ZFR5F-11 plug that is recommended for your car. I would not recommend the iridium or platinum equivalent for your car. The ZFR5F-11 are recommended to be replaced every 24,000 miles or 2 years. I usually go by mileage.

If you have the original spark plug wires, inspect them, but keep them if the insulation looks ok. If you have aftermarket, replace with OEM or NGK spark plug wires.

Old 07-05-2019, 04:27 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Definitely the spark plugs. Use the NGK ZFR5F-11 plug that is recommended for your car. I would not recommend the iridium or platinum equivalent for your car. The ZFR5F-11 are recommended to be replaced every 24,000 miles or 2 years. I usually go by mileage.

If you have the original spark plug wires, inspect them, but keep them if the insulation looks ok. If you have aftermarket, replace with OEM or NGK spark plug wires.
Sounds good!!! I will add spark plug and wires to my list!!! Thank you!!!