General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt install problem: need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:52 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Timing belt install problem: need advice

I was installing a new tbelt and thought I had the tensioner relaxed all the way when in fact I did not. I had the belt around the crank, cam, oil pump and could not get it over the idler so I pulled down on the belt basically for all I was worth trying to get it to slip over and onto the idler.

After the fact I realized the idler wasn't relaxed all the way and after doing so the belt slid right on. My concert however is they say don't try to stretch on a tbelt. I didn't attempt to spin it on, just pull down on it by hand in attempt to gather enough slack to slip it on.

Should this belt be safe to run and should I get a different one?

Thanks

Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 AM
Super Moderator

You probably can't put enough force by hand, to damage the belt. But if it was barely onto the corner of a pulley, you might have chewed up a couple teeth on the belt. That would be visible if you looked at the belt carefully.

I wouldn't take off the belt, just the upper timing cover. Rotate the engine (forwards only) to bring each part of the belt into view so you can get a good look. You'll probably want to look most closely at the edge of the belt closest to the engine because that's where you were working it against the edges of the pulleys.

If you see any teeth chewed up, then get a new belt. Or just make a note to replace it soon-ish instead of 100k miles.