General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

timing belt maybe off

Old 10-29-2008, 02:36 PM
Default timing belt maybe off

This car is driving me nuts.
Now the engine will start but idle low and rough.
I put on the timing light and the strobe is not consistent.
I also am not feeling a strong vacuum while running, with the intake tube off, I can actually feel air going both ways, in and out. With the throttle wide open it starts easiest, and only goes to 1K and nothing above. As soon as I let off, it will eventually stumble and die in 15-20 seconds.
And no, still no SES light... The bulb is good as it lights up with rest of dash when key is turned.

So how can I check the timing belt alignment points with engine in car?

Old 10-29-2008, 02:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: timing belt maybe off

Take the TB covers off, set the cam with "UP" facing up and two line on each side parallel with the cylinder head. Take a flashlight and look at the crank pulley and the balancer shafts. The pulleys usually have an arrow pointing up and and arrow pointing west matching up with marks on the block.

Old 10-29-2008, 02:44 PM

by removing the upper and lower timing belt cover (on my car). You need to remove the motor mount to do this. You may want to put your car model in your forum signature

Old 10-29-2008, 03:11 PM

You can stop by Autozone and flip through the Haynes manual for your car.
I did just to check out the timing belt replacement procedure. There were some good pictures
that explain how to line everything up. You may want to actually buy the book.....ha ha

Old 10-29-2008, 06:20 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

go to the DIY section there is a full write up ,, how to chk it and how to reset it if it is off..

and input year and model in your sign makes it easier to help you

Old 10-29-2008, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

You only need to remove that motor mount to change the timing belt, not to check its alignment. You should check the compression on the engine.

Old 10-29-2008, 06:57 PM

The car I bought simply to fix and sell (bad motor). However I have gotten to really like the 2 door body/interior so I may try to find a rust free one to purchase for myself to fix up.

Other than that I got some print outs with timing marks and reset the belt, it was WAYYY off (5 plus teeth). Did a quick fire and with the PVC unhooked she went to rev high. So I think it is all good now. Just one of those things that you learn to do when the engine is OUT of the car... I had a nagging feeling to check it before I installed it but... live and learn.

The compression I listed in the original thread about it not wanting to start/immediately die. It was 140-142