General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing belt noise when starting car

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2010, 05:26 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

My 1995 Accord squeals at startup and it is the AC compressor. Even with the compressor (the clutch engages on startup on mine for few seconds) off it does that. I have tightened the new belt a little beyond specs and it barely does it at times. You may have the same problem. A timing belt will give you a noise all the time if it is too tight and too loose will probably fail in some manner. Does running the AC give you the noise?

Old 04-16-2010, 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by kris_loehr
My 1995 Accord squeals at startup and it is the AC compressor. Even with the compressor (the clutch engages on startup on mine for few seconds) off it does that. I have tightened the new belt a little beyond specs and it barely does it at times. You may have the same problem. A timing belt will give you a noise all the time if it is too tight and too loose will probably fail in some manner. Does running the AC give you the noise?
That's what i was trying to describe in post #6. Kris is you ac compressor engaged all the time? Does the clutch ever disengage or does it only make the squeal after you shut the car of and then restart it with the A/C/compressor on?

Old 04-16-2010, 10:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I seldom use the AC in my car and have not used at all this season so far

Old 04-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

1998accordlx:

The AC works correctly other than clutch is engaged at start up for few seconds if the AC is on or off. I have never tried unplugging the connecter for the clutch.

Old 10-10-2010, 03:38 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The mechanic discovered the re manufactured water pump was defective. That was causing the noise.

Old 10-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

I have a screeching sound in my 94EX that I have traced to the starter. It doesn't make the sound every start, perhaps 1/5 starts. I removed the starter and examined the rotor and bearings closely w/o finding any faults there. The starter has a gear drive and bendix that may be causing this noise, but I could not see any faults(plenty of grease and smooth rotation) to suggest a reason for the noise.

The source of this noise was very difficult to trace and I spent some time chasing the accessory belts, and eventually removed the belts to confirm the noise occurred w/o the belts.

The timing belt should not make a screeching noise unless one of the tensioner idler bearings is in really bad shape. Were they replaced when timing belts were replaced? It's also pretty difficult to overtighten the timing belt. Not impossible but difficult to do accidentally.

good luck