General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Timing belt question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2010, 07:24 AM
Default Timing belt question...

I just helped my son get his first car, a 2002 Accord Cp with 4 cyl auto. The engine has 102K on it. Having never owned a Honda before, I am just now learning the drivetrain. From what I hear, the timing belt needs to be replaced some time around now. Is there a warning sign that this needs replaced, or should it just be done because there's 100K on it? Also, about how much should I expect to pay for this maintenance?

Old 04-05-2010, 09:50 AM

Nevermind. Called the service dept and asked them....

Old 04-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Just to answer your question encase others feel the same way, also obviously a service department is going to want the business.

It should be replaced soon, there arent really any warning signs per say. I guess if you looked at the belt and it looked worn or a lot of rubber shavings in the timing cover. But if you already had that much off to inspect it you my as well just replace it.

It can be a rather costly job as it does take a while to do and is slightly complicated with a lot of room for error. Not something your weekend do it yourselfer really undertakes. At a Honda dealership I would expect a ridiculous price of at least $500. Could probably get it cheaper at a local shop.

Old 04-05-2010, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by live2rice
Just to answer your question encase others feel the same way, also obviously a service department is going to want the business.

It should be replaced soon, there arent really any warning signs per say. I guess if you looked at the belt and it looked worn or a lot of rubber shavings in the timing cover. But if you already had that much off to inspect it you my as well just replace it.

It can be a rather costly job as it does take a while to do and is slightly complicated with a lot of room for error. Not something your weekend do it yourselfer really undertakes. At a Honda dealership I would expect a ridiculous price of at least $500. Could probably get it cheaper at a local shop.
Thanks for the response. You called it pretty close, they quoted 540 for the belt, new water pump, flushing radiator, etc...parts and labor.

Old 04-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Super Moderator

Depending on where you're located, that might be an OK price. Lots of labor in this job, & labor rates vary A LOT.

Really no warning of a bad timing belt, except for crashing noises when the pistons hit the valves. Then it's too late.