General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Timing and Timing Advance

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:21 PM
Question Timing and Timing Advance

Im looking into this issue because I think it may explain why my cars throttle response is much better after getting off the highway and accelerating than if I were to drive around town. The original fluctuating throttle response issue was solved with the new ignition coil but this still seems kinda fishy.

Apparently my car should be at 15* initial timing at idle. I get a bit confused because Im reading from the ECU, I only see timing advance readings. (if someone can explain the difference between the two)
It will read 12.5 at idle (from the ECU) except when I get off the highway and throttle response is great. Then it will read 15 degrees at idle for a while. Only correlation to that phenomenon I can find.

Not to make a mountain out of a molehill but does that mean anything I can use to my benefit? The intake temp is about 110 at 70 degrees ambient temp, I know that influences timing. Although that temp stays pretty consistent. Its a 97 so I cant alter the timing using the dizzy.

old knock sensor maybe? Im running premium non ethanol so I dont have to worry too much about knocking.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:44 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I don't think OBD2a cars used knock sensors.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:33 AM

Really? I thought I saw one when I was under my car.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:38 AM

Just looked that particular subject up. F22s apparently dont have them. I mustve seen something else green sticking outa the engine head. That would explain why I couldnt find info in the FSM.

So what about the timing being a few degrees off from spec?

Old 05-06-2013, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by RobinsonRicer
Im looking into this issue because I think it may explain why my cars throttle response is much better after getting off the highway and accelerating than if I were to drive around town. The original fluctuating throttle response issue was solved with the new ignition coil but this still seems kinda fishy. Yes, very fishy. More than likely a coincidence.

Apparently my car should be at 15* initial timing at idle. I get a bit confused because Im reading from the ECU, I only see timing advance readings. (if someone can explain the difference between the two)
It will read 12.5 at idle (from the ECU) except when I get off the highway and throttle response is great. Then it will read 15 degrees at idle for a while. Only correlation to that phenomenon I can find. When you are looking at a scantool you are seeing the ECU control the timing. Base timing is what you set with the ECU out of the loop, it's a starting point for the computer to use and is adjusted accordingly based on engine/driving conditions.

Not to make a mountain out of a molehill but does that mean anything I can use to my benefit? The intake temp is about 110 at 70 degrees ambient temp, I know that influences timing. Although that temp stays pretty consistent. Its a 97 so I cant alter the timing using the dizzy.

old knock sensor maybe? Im running premium non ethanol so I dont have to worry too much about knocking. No knock sensor on this motor.

Old 05-06-2013, 12:39 PM

Well im curious because I know ignition is retarded when the engine is hot. My engine temps are kinda weird. Ive tried running 75% water+water wetter and didnt see a decrease in temp. On the highway I was able to get down to 190 and trying a few other things. Ive never seen that before though.

I had the whole issue with the loss in throttle response when hot but I have that response now after an ignition coil replacement. Yet I still get an even stronger response after getting off the highway. Timing at idle reads 15 degrees then, the coolant even reads cooler. As opposed to 12.5 when the cars been around town.