General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trouble shifting out of park 1995 EX V6

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 01:45 PM
jmbroich
Unregistered
Default Trouble shifting out of park 1995 EX V6

I am looking at buying my daughter a 1995 EX with a V6. The console shifter (it's an automatic) has a push button on the side of the shifter which must be depressed to move the gear from park to reverse, drive, etc. Prior to taking the car for a test drive, I found it was very hard to get the button on the side of the shifter depressed enough that the shifter could be moved to a different gear. The car was on a slight incline, so while I had the car out I pulled over on a level area , put the car in park, and still noticed the same problem, where it took me 30 seconds or so to get the button depressed.
The car runs great, has had all scheduled maintainence done (with records), and other aspects of the car seem fine.
The current owner says he just wiggles the shifter a little bit to get it into gear, which would be ok with me if it was just a couple of times, however, from my experience, it appears that it might take more than that and I don't want my daughter stuck somewhere not being able to get the car going. I own a 94 Accord V6 EX and an 03 Pilot, so I love Honda quality.
Thanks

Old 08-16-2009, 02:29 PM
jmbroich
Unregistered

Sorry, forgot to ask my question. So my question is, has anybody ever experienced this same problem, or have any ideas as to what might be the cause? Is it something I pay to have the Honda dealer diagnose before buying the car?

Old 08-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

Its a problem with the shift interlock. Check to see if the brake lights work when you push down the brake pedal. If the brake lights don't light up, then the brake switch (on top of the pedal) is the likely culprit.

There are some other tests that I can suggest, but the brake light test is the easiest.

Also, get a spare key and insert it into the release slot near the gear changer. That will unlock the system mechanically and won't leave your daughter stranded.

Old 08-21-2009, 01:22 PM
nubuck83
Unregistered

I had the same problem with my 94 accord. I just always used the manual release with my key. Never caused any other problem.

Old 08-21-2009, 11:35 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

PA might be right on the brake switch..........there is a write up on the DIY section on how to diagnose it ..

http://www.hondaaccordforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=13343

see if this helps

Last edited by deserthonda; 08-21-2009 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-24-2009, 02:16 PM
LuckyStrike
Unregistered

I had the same problem with my 94 and it was the brake light switch. My brake lights never quit working but it was a pain to get it out of park sometimes. I use the key slot until I figured it out. When you put your foot on the brake you should hear the shift lock release the lever. If you dont hear anything you may have another problem. It could be the shift lock, or something to do with the push button on the shifter. My bet is the brake light switch.