General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

URGENT!! Valve Cover Question #2

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 02:59 AM
Default URGENT!! Valve Cover Question #2

I know i've asked a million questions these past few days but this is the most important/urgent question yet..

I was installing a new valve cover gasket and O-Rings last night when I started to take off the cover to get to the rocker rings. I ended up failing miserably and giving up and re-tightening the bolts.. I believe I messed up one of the valves while doing so because when I re-installed the valve cover and started up the car, there was a loud ticking noise that did not stop. It was emitting from the valve cover so I'm gunna go ahead and assume its coming from a valve.

My urgent question is; what do I do to fix the valve and the ticking? Any videos besides eric the car guys valve video. ( dont have the necessary tools to adjust the valves that way ). Are there any basic fixes I can do to reverse what I did last night? as cheaply as possible since I dont have money till this friday when I get paid (new job and their 3 week check periods..)

Any help/advice/links are GREATLY appreciated. Need this car for work so i'm in a bit of a bind.

ps, can I drive my car with the ticking noise/how long could I drive it for/Is it damaging?

Old 07-26-2011, 08:22 AM
Supper Moderator

you need a valve adjustment. I would not drive much if any untill you get that fixed. Depending how much you moved the valve can be catastrophic failure.

Old 07-26-2011, 07:41 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by poynterandy
I was installing a new valve cover gasket and O-Rings last night when I started to take off the cover to get to the rocker rings. I ended up failing miserably and giving up and re-tightening the bolts.. I believe I messed up one of the valves while doing so because when I re-installed the valve cover and started up the car, there was a loud ticking noise that did not stop. It was emitting from the valve cover so I'm gunna go ahead and assume its coming from a valve.

My urgent question is; what do I do to fix the valve and the ticking? Any videos besides eric the car guys valve video. ( dont have the necessary tools to adjust the valves that way ). Are there any basic fixes I can do to reverse what I did last night? as cheaply as possible since I dont have money till this friday when I get paid (new job and their 3 week check periods..)

ps, can I drive my car with the ticking noise/how long could I drive it for/Is it damaging?
poynterandy, when you tightened the bolts that hold the rocker shafts to the cylinder head, did you use a torque wrench and tighten them in the sequence shown in the ETCG video (or the service manual)?

The loud ticking: Let's hope it's just a loose valve adjustment. The fact that it's just ticking (vs. knocking or hammering) is a good sign. A loose valve won't cause any damage short term. Buy yourself a new valve cover gasket and a $4 feeler gauge set:

Feeler Gauge - 32 Piece, SAE/Metric

Then all you need is a 12mm(?) box wrench and a flat head screwdriver to adjust the valves. The ETCG video will walk you through it. Use the nominal leaves (.010 intake and .012 exhaust) and don't worry if they're not perfect. I think Honda gives you +/- two thousands to play with. Just get them as close as you can, with a slight drag on the feeler gauge when you're pulling them through.

When you're ready to tackle those o-rings, be sure to use a torque wrench on the rocker shafts. Even a cheap 3/8" wrench from Harbor Freight will do. $22 or so.

Old 07-27-2011, 08:02 AM
Supper Moderator

a tq. wrench is one of the best investments you can make