General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Weight of BX7A Honda Accord V-6 transmission

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 03:09 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Weight of BX7A Honda Accord V-6 transmission

Does anybody know what is the weight of the V-6 auto trans in a 1998-2002 Honda Accord, without torque converter? I am guessing well less than 150 lbs.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Super Moderator

A few things first.....welcome to HAF.

Please do not post in the DIY Section unless you have a write up on "how to" something. I have moved this to General Tech.

Last, I will admit I've never pulled one on the v6. At a guess it is a good 75 lbs. If you are trying to figure this out for a "swap" change. There are true trans jacks you can buy.

....but I'm poor, so once the car is in the air and secure on stands. A good floor jack and a piece of plywood, a strap or two will help, works just fine. If you can bribe a buddy to help....young adult in the neighborhood, ect.....a second pair of hands during the initial removal....and then when the final install steps are needed will help.

In my younger days my girlfriend, now wife, use to help me change the powerglide trans in the Chevelle all the time . With the motor set up and the manual valvebody in the trans I would blow the input shaft at high rpm shifts. The only problem with that was I didn't teach her that when you want to stop the jack from coming down...she had to turn the **** back. So the first time she helped, I asked her to lower it....she did...it was coming down nice and slow.....but then came the point of needing to stop so I could move/remove a few other things and I told her to stop.......well she didn't know and I didn't tell her how to do that.....the trans ended up right on my chest....ouch.

Last edited by poorman212; 11-12-2013 at 05:47 PM.
Old 11-12-2013, 06:21 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Sorry for posting in the wrong forum. I figured a do-it-yourselfer may have rebuilt the tranny on their own, so must have removed one.

However I think the tranny itself weighs more than 75 lbs w/o converter. I mainly need to lift one into my car by myself. I would use a tranny jack to remove/install it in the car.