General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Well...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 05:57 PM
Almost A Senior Member
Default Well...

Finally took the car to have my oil leak fixed yesterday. All seemed well until this morning when I went to get my registration. Come home and see that the car is smoking and a big puddle of oil is under the car. Its not leaking from where it was before which was near the timing cover I believe, but now it is leaking behind the valve cover on the passenger side of the engine and on the top.
My mechanic told me he was also going to change the valve cover gasket but I don't know if it blew or what. Hopefully it is a free fix since the car was not leaking from that spot before. The is also some kind of hose that is now torn on the top of the valve cover. Not sure if the oil is coming from there or what.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:57 PM
Super Moderator

Hose needs to be fixed.....might be the vc gasket but I'm going to "guess" it is the vtec solenoid. It has two o-rings, get both. The top one is easy, 15 minutes tops.

The one where it goes to the head is a bit more. I'd give that one 30....maybe 45 including bleeding the cooling system.

Check and fill the oil. Start the car and look for the leak is coming from.

Old 04-30-2013, 11:50 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by poorman212
Hose needs to be fixed.....might be the vc gasket but I'm going to "guess" it is the vtec solenoid. It has two o-rings, get both. The top one is easy, 15 minutes tops.

The one where it goes to the head is a bit more. I'd give that one 30....maybe 45 including bleeding the cooling system.

Check and fill the oil. Start the car and look for the leak is coming from.
Got the car back. Mechanic said it was the valve cover gasket leaking, said they might have put it on wrong and well as of right now everything seems good They fixed the hose for free as well. Yesterday when I got the car back every time I would stop the RPMs would drop low like if the car was going to die. Today everything feels fine. I am assuming it was that hose that was the problem.
Feels good to not have a huge oil leak anymore
Now I just need to get a new muffler, still cant make a decision on what I want.

Old 05-01-2013, 01:09 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Alright nothing seems to be leaking anymore but there is smoke coming from under the engine. Seems like oil is landing on the exhaust. Cant really tell yet if its just leftover oil from when my mechanic fixed everything and its burning it off or what.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:04 PM
Super Moderator

Keep an eye on your oil level on the dipstick. If it keeps dropping, then you have a leak.

I am not sure of the best way to clean the oil off the engine. I would suggest a power washer, but you want to avoid getting water on/in the distributor and alternator.

Old 05-01-2013, 07:38 PM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Keep an eye on your oil level on the dipstick. If it keeps dropping, then you have a leak.

I am not sure of the best way to clean the oil off the engine. I would suggest a power washer, but you want to avoid getting water on/in the distributor and alternator.
Cleaned up the bottom of the engine today with some degreaser. Went for a drive and came back and looked under the car. Not seeing any oil dripping on the ground anymore but still seeing a little bit of smoke and it smells like oil. Seems the leak is small and might take it back to my mechanic to see what else is leaking on this car. As of now (other than the little bit of smoke) the car seems to be good.

Old 05-02-2013, 02:24 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda

Anyone know what would leak gut onto the exhaust/downpipe? No visible oil leaks but something has to be leaking. Still getting the burning oil smell and see a little bit of smoke everytime I look under the car.